Characters Dinky and Birdboy (Image submitted)
‘Out After Midnite’ screens Spanish film
Cinema Capitol will screen the animated Spanish movie “Birdboy: The Forgotten Children” for its next “Out After Midnite” film series event on Saturday, Jan. 13 at 10:30 p.m. The movie will be in Spanish with English subtitles.
Based upon the graphic novel Psiconautas by Alberto Vázquez, “Birdboy: The Forgotten Children” is a darkly comic, mind-bending fantasy.
A discordant world is populated by adorable (and adorably disturbed) animated critters searching for hope and love amid the ruin. Stranded on an island in a post-apocalyptic world, teenager Dinky and her friends hatch a dangerous plan to escape in the hope of finding a better life.
Meanwhile, her old friend Birdboy has shut himself off from the world, pursued by the police and haunted by demon tormentors. But unbeknownst to anyone, he contains a secret inside him that could change the world forever.
“Birdboy: The Forgotten Children” was awarded “Best Feature Film” at Cinanima. It was also awarded “Best Animated Feature” at the Fantasia Film Festival and the Goya Awards.
The New York Times writes “The simple precision of the hand-drawn characters and of the watercolor world they inhabit provide visual coherence and establish an atmosphere of fascination as well as dread. The movie is an anthology of nightmares compressed into a picture book.” Variety writes “This ironically-sweet-and-very-sour mix… soon becomes fascinating in its oddball complexity.”
“Birdboy: The Forgotten Children” runs 76 minutes and is not rated, although it does have adult content and may not be suitable for children. Admission is $8 and, like all “Out After Midnite” series events, a small popcorn, a small fountain beverage, and pizza donated by Boyz from Italy (while supplies last) are included. Doors will open for the event at 10 p.m.
Western-comedy features Pattinson, Wasikowska
Nick Offerman stars in ‘feel good’ film
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Western-comedy features Pattinson, Wasikowska
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Nick Offerman stars in ‘feel good’ film
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Fright Night Series features ‘The Devil’s Doorway’
- 4:00pm 07/12/18RCT announces 65th season
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Irish music session July 17
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Tale as old as time at View
- 4:00pm 07/11/18‘Mary Poppins – The Musical’ takes stage at Capitol
- 4:00pm 07/05/18Adirondack storyteller Bill Smith performs Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/05/18Family show ‘Snow White’ at View
- 4:00pm 07/05/18Capitol screens film based on Rome’s World Series of Bocce