Out After Midnite presents Estonian fantasy
For its next “Out After Midnite” event, Cinema Capitol will present the Estonian fantasy-drama “November” on Saturday, April 21 at 10:30 p.m. The movie will be presented in Estonian and German with English subtitles.
“November” is set in 19th century Estonia. Peasant girl Liina (Rea Lest) longs for village boy Hans (Jorgen Liik), but Hans is inexplicably infatuated by the visiting German baroness that possesses all that he longs for. For Liina, winning Hans’ requited love proves incredibly complicated in this dark, harsh landscape where spirits, werewolves, plagues, and the devil himself converge, where thievery is rampant, and where souls are highly regarded, but come quite cheap.
With black and white cinematography, director Rainer Sarnet vividly captures these motley lives as they toil to exist—is existence worth anything if it lacks a soul? Estonian pagan and European Christian mythologies come together in this film. Both mythologies look for a miracle; for an ancient force that gives one a soul.
“November” was awarded “Best Cinematography in an International Narriative Feature” at the Tribeca Film Festival and cinematographer Mart Taniel won a “Jury Award” from the American Society of Cinematographers in 2018 for the movie.
The Boston Globe writes “Sarnet elevates his Rabelaisian folktale into a tragedy illustrated by haunting, metaphorical imagery.” Rolling Stone writes “This midnight-movie classic in the making uses ancient Estonian folk tales to create something shockingly unexpected. Both gravely serious and demonically funny, it’s meant to knock audiences off balance. Mission accomplished.”
“November” runs 115 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $8 and includes a small popcorn, a small fountain beverage, and pizza supplied by Boyz from Italy (while supplies last).
Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Doors will open at 10 p.m.
Cinema screens animated movie with all-star cast
Pianist Laussade performs in Lee Center Tuesday
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Cinema screens animated movie with all-star cast
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Pianist Laussade performs in Lee Center Tuesday
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Old Tyme Fiddlers’ Association hosts Season Kickoff Party May 27
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Players close season with ‘110 in the Shade’
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Ladies Night at View May 31
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Smokey Robinson set to perform at the NYS Fair
- 4:00pm 05/22/18Saranac Thursdays kick off with Rome band performing
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Mayfaire on the Green returns to Holland Patent for 8th year