Out After Midnite — Ivana Karbanova in “Daisies”
Out After Midnite presents Czech new wave classic
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the 1966 Czech movie “Daisies” for the next event in its Out After Midnite film series at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday.
The movie will be in Czech with English subtitles.
Maybe the New Wave’s most anarchic entry, Věra Chytilová’s absurdist farce follows the misadventures of two brash young women.
Believing the world to be “spoiled,” they embark on a series of pranks in which nothing — food, clothes, men, war — is taken seriously.
“Daisies” is an aesthetically and politically adventurous film that’s considered one of the great works of feminist cinema.
“One of the great outpourings of cinematic invention in an age of over-all artistic liberation,” writes The New Yorker.
The Chicago Reader also writes “surely one of the most exhilarating stylistic and psychedelic eruptions of the 60s, this madcap and aggressive feminist farce by Vera Chytilova explodes in any number of directions.”
The film runs 76 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $8, and, like all series events, a small popcorn, a small fountain beverage and pizza donated by Boyz from Italy (while supplies last) are included.
Doors will open at 10.
Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Mayfaire on the Green returns to Holland Patent for 8th year
- 4:00pm 05/17/18KAC Spring Dance event Saturday in Clinton
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Limited screenings of sci-fi horror movie
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Bluegrass Music Festival May 19
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Woodwind trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Capitol offers auditions for SummerStage Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Final performance in RACC concert series May 25
- 4:00pm 05/12/18Moss Back Mule Band closes Trinity’s spring series May 19