OPUS BLACK — From left, Allison Brown on violin, Liz Friedel on violin, Allyson Sklar on viola and Kristen Kopf on cello. (Photo submitted)
Opus Black performs at Oneida library
The Oneida Public Library, 220 Broad St., will host a free concert featuring Opus Black Monday, Dec. 11, at 7 p.m.
The Central New York string quartet with an eclectic contemporary style, will perform seasonal, classical, folk, rock and contemporary pop music at Oneida Public Library
The alternative ensemble features Liz Friedel as first violinist, Allison Brown as second violinist, Allyson Sklar on viola and Kristen Kopf on cello. Each member of the quartet brings a distinct musical education and professional experience, creating together a rich music that blends the classical tradition with jazz, rock, bluegrass, Celtic and American folk, organizers said. For more information, stop by the library or call (315) 363-3050.
Friedel owns and operates the Music with Liz Contemporary Music Studio in Verona, as well as a private music teacher. She regularly performs with local groups, crossing from bluegrass and Irish music to jazz and the blues.
Sklar, who studied at the Manhattan School of Music, owns the Valley Talent Education Center in New Hartford and is a teacher of both viola and violin. She is certified in the Suzuki Method, a pedagogical method devised by violinist Shinichi Suzuki that applies language acquisition theory to the teaching of music. She also provides Irish fiddling for the Celtic music group headquartered in Utica, Craobh Dugan.
Kopf is a music teacher in the North Syracuse public schools, recently at the Cicero Road Middle School in Cicero.
She has been a band director as well in the Roxboro Road elementary and middle schools. A graduate of Syracuse University, she specializes in teaching alternative music.
Opus Black String Quartet has recently performed at the Creekside Restaurant in Vernon, the New York State Fair in late August, and other venues in the Syracuse area and Madison and Oneida counties.
On the net: www.facebook.com/opusblackstringquartet/
MVCC hosts 15th annual Uticon Sept. 23
Family Favorites Series features Disney classic
- 4:00pm 09/15/18MVCC hosts 15th annual Uticon Sept. 23
- 4:00pm 09/14/18MWPAI to host regional premiere screening of ‘We the Animals’
- 4:00pm 09/13/18Family Favorites Series features Disney classic
- 4:00pm 09/13/18Drama based upon the novel ‘The Bookshop’
- 4:00pm 09/13/18Hamilton College hosts Molsky’s Mountain Drifters Sept. 21
- 4:00pm 09/13/18Open Mic Night at Players of Utica
- 4:00pm 09/13/18Historical society collaborates on ‘Shattered Angel’ performance
- 4:00pm 09/13/18Tickets on sale for Chris Botti concert at Stanley
- 4:00pm 09/13/18Lava at Turning Stone hosts Ja Rule, Ginuwine, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
- 4:00pm 09/13/18City Fiddle Band performance Sunday