CONCERT IN THE COURT — Turtle Island Quartet performs April 21 at 7:30 p.m. at MWPAI (Photo submitted)
MWPAI Concerts in the Court Hosts Tribute to Jazz Legend
UTICA — Two-time Grammy-winning Turtle Island Quartet brings “Bird’s Eye View: A Tribute to Charlie Parker” to the Concerts in the Court series 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 21, in Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute’s Edward Wales Root Sculpture Court.
“This high-flying program pays homage to the legendary brilliance of jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker. The genius of his improvisations almost single-handedly catapulted jazz from pop style into artistic expression, indelibly altering the musical landscape of America,” organizers said.
Parker classics including “Koko,” “A Night in Tunisia,” and “Dewey Square” are juxtaposed with original responses by quartet members, and intertwined with other thematic pieces from the bebop era and beyond including Sonny Rollins’ “Airegin,” “Miles Ahead” by Gil Evans/Miles Davis, and “Subconscious-Lee” by Lee Konitz. Grammy-nominated composer David Balakrishnan
Contributes his newly commissioned work, “Aeroelasticity: Harmonies of impermanence.”
Turtle Island draws its primary focus and musical identity from the individual creative voices of the ensemble who are at home in folk, pop, and jazz. It continues to recalibrate the foundational Parameters of the traditional string quartet form, in a sense coming from the other direction.
Admission is $31.50, $26.50 for MWPAI members, and $15.50 for students. The museum opens at 6:30 p.m. so patrons may view current exhibitions, socialize, and visit the Museum Shop.
Concerts in the Court features a cash bar and special gallery talks at intermission.
For tickets, contact the Performing Arts Ticket Office at 315-797-0055 or 800-754-0797. Tickets are also available online at MWPAI.org.
Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Kenwood Library hosts Gold Rush Day
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Free cabaret at Stanley to feature high school students
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
- 4:00pm 08/16/18View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Dan Vellone performs Friday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Nina’s Brew performs tonight
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Irish music session Tuesday