CONCERT IN THE COURT — Turtle Island Quartet performs April 21 at 7:30 p.m. at MWPAI (Photo submitted)
MWPAI Concerts in the Court Hosts Tribute to Jazz Legend
UTICA — Two-time Grammy-winning Turtle Island Quartet brings “Bird’s Eye View: A Tribute to Charlie Parker” to the Concerts in the Court series 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 21, in Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute’s Edward Wales Root Sculpture Court.
“This high-flying program pays homage to the legendary brilliance of jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker. The genius of his improvisations almost single-handedly catapulted jazz from pop style into artistic expression, indelibly altering the musical landscape of America,” organizers said.
Parker classics including “Koko,” “A Night in Tunisia,” and “Dewey Square” are juxtaposed with original responses by quartet members, and intertwined with other thematic pieces from the bebop era and beyond including Sonny Rollins’ “Airegin,” “Miles Ahead” by Gil Evans/Miles Davis, and “Subconscious-Lee” by Lee Konitz. Grammy-nominated composer David Balakrishnan
Contributes his newly commissioned work, “Aeroelasticity: Harmonies of impermanence.”
Turtle Island draws its primary focus and musical identity from the individual creative voices of the ensemble who are at home in folk, pop, and jazz. It continues to recalibrate the foundational Parameters of the traditional string quartet form, in a sense coming from the other direction.
Admission is $31.50, $26.50 for MWPAI members, and $15.50 for students. The museum opens at 6:30 p.m. so patrons may view current exhibitions, socialize, and visit the Museum Shop.
Concerts in the Court features a cash bar and special gallery talks at intermission.
For tickets, contact the Performing Arts Ticket Office at 315-797-0055 or 800-754-0797. Tickets are also available online at MWPAI.org.
Cinema screens animated movie with all-star cast
Pianist Laussade performs in Lee Center Tuesday
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Cinema screens animated movie with all-star cast
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Pianist Laussade performs in Lee Center Tuesday
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Old Tyme Fiddlers’ Association hosts Season Kickoff Party May 27
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Players close season with ‘110 in the Shade’
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Ladies Night at View May 31
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Smokey Robinson set to perform at the NYS Fair
- 4:00pm 05/22/18Saranac Thursdays kick off with Rome band performing
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Mayfaire on the Green returns to Holland Patent for 8th year