SCANDAL — Jason Clarke in Chappaquiddick. (Photo submitted)
Movie depicts Ted Kennedy Chappaquiddick scandal
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St, will present the biographical drama “Chappaquiddick” Friday through Thursday.
The film is a portrayal of true events, as researched by director John Curran and writers Taylor Allen and Andrew Logan. On July 18, 1969, Sen. Ted Kennedy (Jason Clarke) drives his car off of a bridge on Massachusetts’ Chappaquiddick Island. The accident results in the death of passenger Mary Jo Kopechne (Kate Mara), a 28-year-old campaign strategist who worked for Kennedy.
The ongoing investigation into the mysterious and scandalous events forever alters his political legacy and ultimately changes the course of presidential history. The movie also stars Ed Helms, Bruce Dern, Jim Gaffigan, Clancy Brown and Olivia Thirlby.
The New York Observer describes it as “A film of integrity and disclosure… with an impressive attention to detail and an admirable respect for suspenseful narrative.” Globe and Mail also write that the movie is “A lucid, nuanced and compelling telling of the accident and its turbulent aftermath.”
The film runs 101 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for thematic material, disturbing images, some strong language and historical smoking). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Arts Complex box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday through Thursday at 7:15 p.m. Friday’s 4:15 and Sunday’s 1:15 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Saranac Thursdays kick off with Rome band performing
Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/22/18Saranac Thursdays kick off with Rome band performing
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Mayfaire on the Green returns to Holland Patent for 8th year
- 4:00pm 05/17/18KAC Spring Dance event Saturday in Clinton
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Limited screenings of sci-fi horror movie
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Bluegrass Music Festival May 19
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Woodwind trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Capitol offers auditions for SummerStage Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Final performance in RACC concert series May 25