SCANDAL — Jason Clarke in Chappaquiddick. (Photo submitted)
Movie depicts Ted Kennedy Chappaquiddick scandal
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St, will present the biographical drama “Chappaquiddick” Friday through Thursday.
The film is a portrayal of true events, as researched by director John Curran and writers Taylor Allen and Andrew Logan. On July 18, 1969, Sen. Ted Kennedy (Jason Clarke) drives his car off of a bridge on Massachusetts’ Chappaquiddick Island. The accident results in the death of passenger Mary Jo Kopechne (Kate Mara), a 28-year-old campaign strategist who worked for Kennedy.
The ongoing investigation into the mysterious and scandalous events forever alters his political legacy and ultimately changes the course of presidential history. The movie also stars Ed Helms, Bruce Dern, Jim Gaffigan, Clancy Brown and Olivia Thirlby.
The New York Observer describes it as “A film of integrity and disclosure… with an impressive attention to detail and an admirable respect for suspenseful narrative.” Globe and Mail also write that the movie is “A lucid, nuanced and compelling telling of the accident and its turbulent aftermath.”
The film runs 101 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for thematic material, disturbing images, some strong language and historical smoking). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Arts Complex box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday through Thursday at 7:15 p.m. Friday’s 4:15 and Sunday’s 1:15 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Free cabaret at Stanley to feature high school students
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
- 4:00pm 08/16/18View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Dan Vellone performs Friday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Nina’s Brew performs tonight
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Sesame Street visits NYS fair