OSCAR NOD — Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in “The Post” (Photo submitted)
Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks star in ‘Best Picture’ contender ‘The Post’
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the drama “The Post” Friday through Thursday.
Directed by Steven Spielberg, the film stars Meryl Streep as the first female publisher of a major American newspaper — The Washington Post. With help from an editor (Tom Hanks), she races to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spans three decades and four U.S. presidents. Together, they must overcome their differences as they risk their careers and their freedom to help bring long-buried truths to light. The movie also stars Sarah Paulson, Tracy Letts, Alison Brie, Bruce Greenwood and Bob Odenkirk.
Critics have praised the performances of Streep and Hanks in this picture. “The Post” was chosen by the National Board of Film Review as the “Best Film of 2017” and it was named as one of the top 10 films of the year by Time and the American Film Institute. At the 90th Academy Awards, the film was nominated for “Best Picture” and “Best Actress” for Streep, and also received six nominations at the 75th Golden Globe Awards: “Best Motion Picture – Drama,” “Best Director,” “Best Actress – Drama” for Streep, “Best Actor – Drama for Hanks,” “Best Screenplay” and “Best Original Score.”
Rolling Stone writes “Steven Spielberg’s tense, terrific new drama, with Streep and Hanks at their finest, celebrates the passionate bond between a free press and every thinking human being.” Vulture also writes “It’s a joy to see Streep and Hanks play together, big movie stars locked into each other’s fields of gravity.”
The film runs 116 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for language and brief war violence). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m.
MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Flashlight tours part of First Friday fun
- 4:00pm 09/20/18MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dogumentary’ follows quest of puppy litter
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Jankiewicz performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18CNY Royalty and Rogues Festival comes to Stittville
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Capitol screens ‘Bad Reputation’ Wednesday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Film ‘Bel Canto’ features voice of singer Renée Fleming
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Peter, Paul and George perform Saturday in Oneida
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Opera ‘The Falling and the Rising’ Sunday at View