OSCAR NOD — Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in “The Post” (Photo submitted)
Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks star in ‘Best Picture’ contender ‘The Post’
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the drama “The Post” Friday through Thursday.
Directed by Steven Spielberg, the film stars Meryl Streep as the first female publisher of a major American newspaper — The Washington Post. With help from an editor (Tom Hanks), she races to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spans three decades and four U.S. presidents. Together, they must overcome their differences as they risk their careers and their freedom to help bring long-buried truths to light. The movie also stars Sarah Paulson, Tracy Letts, Alison Brie, Bruce Greenwood and Bob Odenkirk.
Critics have praised the performances of Streep and Hanks in this picture. “The Post” was chosen by the National Board of Film Review as the “Best Film of 2017” and it was named as one of the top 10 films of the year by Time and the American Film Institute. At the 90th Academy Awards, the film was nominated for “Best Picture” and “Best Actress” for Streep, and also received six nominations at the 75th Golden Globe Awards: “Best Motion Picture – Drama,” “Best Director,” “Best Actress – Drama” for Streep, “Best Actor – Drama for Hanks,” “Best Screenplay” and “Best Original Score.”
Rolling Stone writes “Steven Spielberg’s tense, terrific new drama, with Streep and Hanks at their finest, celebrates the passionate bond between a free press and every thinking human being.” Vulture also writes “It’s a joy to see Streep and Hanks play together, big movie stars locked into each other’s fields of gravity.”
The film runs 116 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for language and brief war violence). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m.
Utica Summer Fest start tonight
Levitt Music Series starts June 25 in Utica
- 4:00pm 06/21/18Utica Summer Fest start tonight
- 4:00pm 06/21/18Levitt Music Series starts June 25 in Utica
- 4:00pm 06/21/18Movie depicts real life art heist
- 4:00pm 06/21/18‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ on stage Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/21/18Benefit concert features The BBC Band
- 4:00pm 06/21/18Betsy Concert Series returns June 28
- 4:00pm 06/21/18Mirren and Sutherland star in comedy-drama
- 4:00pm 06/21/18Schneider give talk on ‘West Side Story’ Wednesday
- 4:00pm 06/15/18RCT Talent Team presents a Night of One Acts Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts