Magnarelli/Tsuruga Quartet at CNY Jazz Sunday
SYRACUSE — CNY Jazz Presents Jazz Expatriate with Jazz Organ Sensation The Joe Magnarelli/Akiko Tsuruga Quartet Sunday, May 21, at 5 p.m. at CNY Jazz Central, 441 E Washington St.
Admission is $15 Door, $5 Students with ID. Call 315-479-5299 for tickets
Joe Magnarelli, Syracuse’s esteemed jazz trumpet expatriate, makes a rare CNY appearance at Jazz Central with Akiko Tsuruga, international jazz organ sensation and protegee of the legendary Dr. Lonnie Smith. On Sunday May 21, they’ll play two sets of high-energy jazz, along with Maynard Ferguson alumnus Mike Dubaniewicz on tenor sax and Mike Melito on drums.
“Joe is undoubtedly the most successful Syracusan out there making huge waves on the international jazz scene,” said Larry Luttinger, CNY Jazz Executive Director and host of the event. “He’ll be bringing his new bride Akiko, another international sensation, to Syracuse for the first time.”
Magnarelli has performed at multiple summer festivals including the Northeast Jazz & Wine festival with the Syracuse Symphony in 2009. He has nine records out as leader, and leads a busy life collaborating with countless other jazz-men and -women. He is an adjunct professor of music at the Julliard School and Rutgers University.
Akiko Tsuruga hails from Osaka, Japan, and has been a mainstay on the New York jazz scene since 2001. She counts among her mentors Grady Tate and Dr. Lonnie Smith, who urged her to move to the United States to pursue her art. She splits her time between her own projects, dual-leader dates with husband Joe, and touring with the legendary saxophonist Lou Donaldson. A regular and crowd favorite at Dizzy’s Club Coca Cola in Jazz at Lincoln Center, Tsuruga has headlined many well-known jazz venues, such as Blue Note, Birdland, Smoke, Green Mill in Chicago, and Yoshi’s in Oakland, CA.
The CNY Jazz Arts Foundation, established in 1996, is a year-round provider of jazz presentations for the public and for schools across the Upstate New York region. Its growing list of programs includes The CNY Jazz Cabaret Series, JAZZ@SITRUS, Scholastic Jazz Jams and Nancy Kelly Vocal Jazz Jams and Cabarets, Northeast Jazz & Wine Festival, Stage of Nations ECOfest, Jazz Vespers Series, SummerJazz Workshop, Jazz in the City, Jazz at the Plaza, Jazz On Tap, Syracuse Parks and Recreation “Stan Colella” All-Star Big Band, and more.
On the net: www.cnyjazz.org
Rising Stars perform, start signups
‘Macabre mysteries’ in latest Cinema Capitol offering ‘Slack Bay’
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Rising Stars perform, start signups
- 4:00pm 05/25/17‘Macabre mysteries’ in latest Cinema Capitol offering ‘Slack Bay’
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Non-traditional jazz organ trio plays ArtHouse Cafe Friday
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Joe Bolton, Mary Brophy-Moore kick-off gazebo concert series
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Songwriter Joe Pug to Perform at EOH
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Madison County Fair seeks Battle of the Bands competitors
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Woodland Farm Brewery announces limited release event Saturday
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Kickoff Party Sunday opens fiddlers’ season
- 4:00pm 05/25/17Area happenings
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Kay Real Estate to be honored at chamber luncheon