Lydia Houser performs Sunday at Fiddlers’ Hall of Fame
VILLAGE OF OSCEOLA — Recent Camden High School graduate Lydia Houser will play a concert of old time fiddle music from 2-5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 12 at the North American Fiddlers’ Hall of Fame and Museum, 1121 Comins Road.
Houser’s concert will culminate her weekend as lead instructor for more than 20 young fiddle students at NYSOTFA’s annual Kids’ Kamp. The free concert is sponsored in part by the state Council on the Arts.
Houser began playing fiddle at the age of 10, after attending Kids’ Kamp. Her progress was amazingly fast, and it was soon apparent that performing on stage came naturally to her.
She said she loves to play old time fiddle tunes and old country ballads, and has been working to keep the old standards alive. A current member of the Black River Valley Fiddlers Association, Houser actively plays out and about with her “Grandpa Dave Secor.” She has devoted countless hours to playing at hospitals, nursing homes, music festivals and school events. A 2018 graduate of Camden High School with honors, Houser will attend SUNY Oswego to pursue a career in psychology and play tennis at the collegiate level.
During Houser’s concert, patrons are encouraged to tour the Fiddlers’ Hall of Fame and Museum and listen to the newly digitized historic fiddle performances. All facilities are handicapped accessible and enclosable in the event of bad weather.
Refreshments from the new Fiddlers Kitchen are available, along with new patio umbrella tables. A new, fully equipped children’s playground is available for children’s entertainment. For a schedule or map visit www.nysotfa.com or call and leave a message at 315-599-7009.
There will be no concert at the Fiddlers’ Hall of Fame on Sunday, Aug. 19. The next free concert, Sunday Aug. 26, will feature the Central Chapter of the NYSOTFA, from the Central New York area.
Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Kenwood Library hosts Gold Rush Day
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Free cabaret at Stanley to feature high school students
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
- 4:00pm 08/16/18View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Dan Vellone performs Friday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Nina’s Brew performs tonight
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Irish music session Tuesday