Kidman, Dunst star in civil war era drama
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the drama “The Beguiled” July 14-July 27.
Directed by Academy Award winner Sofia Coppola and based upon a novel by the same name by Thomas P. Cullinan, The film tells the story of an injured Union soldier (Colin Farrell) who finds himself on the run as a deserter during the Civil War. He seeks refuge at an all-female Southern boarding school where the teachers (Nicole Kidman and Kirsten Dunst) and students (Elle Fanning, Angourie Rice, and Oona Laurence) seem more than willing to help. Soon, tensions lead to dangerous rivalries as the women tend to his wounded leg while offering him comfort and companionship.
The film has been widely acclaimed since its premier at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival, where Coppola became the second woman (and the first American woman) in the festival’s history to win the Best Director award. The movie was also nominated for “Best Film” at the Sydney Film Festival, “Best International Film” at the Jerusalem Film Festival and the Munich Film Festival.
Newsday writes that the film is “Moody and compelling, with fine performances all around.” RogerEbert.com also writes that it is “The kind of movie that lingers on in your head, just like the best fairy tales do.”
The movie runs 93 minutes and is rated R (for some sexuality). Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for students and military, and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. It runs every day from July 14-July 27. Show times from July 14-20 are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7:15, Sunday at 1 and 4, and Monday-Thursday at 4 and 7:15. Show times from July 21-27 are Friday and Saturday at 3:45 and 7:15, Sunday at 12:45 and 3:45, and Monday-Thursday at 7:15. The show times on Friday, July 14 at 4, Sunday, July 16 at 1, Friday, July 21 at 3:45, and Sunday, July 23 at 12:45 will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Cinema Capitol screens tale of heroic dog
Henry V in Hamilton Saturday
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Cinema Capitol screens tale of heroic dog
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Henry V in Hamilton Saturday
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Unity Hall presents Jack & The Jukebox Saturday
- 4:00pm 07/20/17The Cadleys perform free concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 07/20/17John Kirk and Trish Miller play fiddlers’ hall Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Musicians perform at Old Forge arts fest
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Evening of traditional stories, songs in Old Forge Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Area happenings
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Center marks ADA July 26
- 1:15pm 07/19/17Capitol’s Summer Movie Series presents ‘Airport’ Thursday