Josh Hartnett stars in Japanese-American comedy
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the American-Japanese comedy-drama “Oh Lucy!” from Friday through Thursday. The movie is in Japanese and English, with the Japanese dialogue subtitled in English.
Directed by Atsuko Hirayanagi, “Oh Lucy!” follows Setsuko, (Shinobu Terajima), a single, emotionally unfulfilled woman, seemingly stuck with a drab, meaningless life in Tokyo. At least until she’s convinced by her niece, Mika (Shioli Kutsuna), to enroll in an unorthodox English class that requires her to wear a blonde wig and take on an American alter ego named Lucy. The new identity awakens something dormant in Setsuko, and she quickly develops romantic feelings for her American instructor, John (Josh Hartnett). When John suddenly disappears from class, Setsuko travels in search of him. Meanwhile, family ties and past lives are tested as she struggles to preserve the dream and promise of Lucy.
The film premiered at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival, where Hirayanagi was nominated for both the Golden Camera and the Critics’ Week Grand Prize. Hirayanagi was given the NHK Award at the Sundance Film Festival, and the movie was also nominated for Best First Feature at the Philadelphia Film Festival.
Variety writes that “Terajima is irresistible in the lead role.” The movie has a 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The film runs 95 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military, and $5 for members Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15, Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15, and Monday-Thursday at 7:15.
Folk a guitar coffeehouse concert Friday in Clinton
Gryphon Trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Cinema Capitol to host ‘out of this world’ double feature
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Ghost and Toast to premier Saturday at Capitol Theater
- 4:00pm 10/18/18‘Love Loss and What I Wore’ to be performed in Utica
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Folk a guitar coffeehouse concert Friday in Clinton
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Gryphon Trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/18/18View hosts pancake breakfast, open house
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Cincinnati Creek performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/18/18‘Adventures of Tom Sawyer’ opens Oct. 26 at Players of Utica
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Free Big Band concert Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/18/18German Sauerbraten dinner Sunday