TRADITIONAL TUNES — John Kirk and Trish Miller will perform 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Park Coffee House (Photo submitted)
John Kirk, Trish Miller perform Saturday in Holland Patent
HOLLAND PATENT — John Kirk and Trish Miller return to the Park Coffee House for a concert at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. These upstate musicians will showcase fiery fiddle tunes, folk music and fancy footwork.
Doors will open 30 minutes before showtime. Admission is $12, $5 for students and free for children 12 and under.
The duo have toured widely since 1988, appearing before audiences of all ages at venues from grand concert halls to mountain campfire gatherings, playing music, singing and calling square dances.
They perform traditional tunes on fiddle, guitar, mandolin and banjo. Many of their musical selections are rooted in the local lore of the Adirondacks and the forest lands of the northeast.
Kirk’s lyric voice, sense of humor and versatile instrumental skills have earned him recognition in folk and traditional music circles. On fiddle, mandolin and guitar, he demonstrates a vast knowledge of music traditions.
Miller is known for her clogging, guitar and banjo skills. She is also a dance caller and country dance choreographer. Her rhythmic stepping style, steeped in the southern mountains, is a mix of traditional clogging and more percussive steps.
Both teach at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs. Kirk is also part of the music faculty at Bennington College in Vermont. They both call square dances and have taught folk music and dance programs for over 20 years.
Before the music starts and during intermission, refreshments will be available for a donation.
The desserts, coffee, tea and cocoa are prepared by Park Coffee House volunteers. Proceeds benefit the local food pantry operated by Foothills Rural Community Ministry.
Park Coffee House is located just off Main Street (Route 365), at the Twin Churches, across from the village park.
Cinema screens animated movie with all-star cast
Pianist Laussade performs in Lee Center Tuesday
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Cinema screens animated movie with all-star cast
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Pianist Laussade performs in Lee Center Tuesday
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Old Tyme Fiddlers’ Association hosts Season Kickoff Party May 27
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Players close season with ‘110 in the Shade’
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Ladies Night at View May 31
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Smokey Robinson set to perform at the NYS Fair
- 4:00pm 05/22/18Saranac Thursdays kick off with Rome band performing
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Mayfaire on the Green returns to Holland Patent for 8th year