TRADITIONAL TUNES — John Kirk and Trish Miller will perform 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Park Coffee House (Photo submitted)
John Kirk, Trish Miller perform Saturday in Holland Patent
HOLLAND PATENT — John Kirk and Trish Miller return to the Park Coffee House for a concert at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. These upstate musicians will showcase fiery fiddle tunes, folk music and fancy footwork.
Doors will open 30 minutes before showtime. Admission is $12, $5 for students and free for children 12 and under.
The duo have toured widely since 1988, appearing before audiences of all ages at venues from grand concert halls to mountain campfire gatherings, playing music, singing and calling square dances.
They perform traditional tunes on fiddle, guitar, mandolin and banjo. Many of their musical selections are rooted in the local lore of the Adirondacks and the forest lands of the northeast.
Kirk’s lyric voice, sense of humor and versatile instrumental skills have earned him recognition in folk and traditional music circles. On fiddle, mandolin and guitar, he demonstrates a vast knowledge of music traditions.
Miller is known for her clogging, guitar and banjo skills. She is also a dance caller and country dance choreographer. Her rhythmic stepping style, steeped in the southern mountains, is a mix of traditional clogging and more percussive steps.
Both teach at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs. Kirk is also part of the music faculty at Bennington College in Vermont. They both call square dances and have taught folk music and dance programs for over 20 years.
Before the music starts and during intermission, refreshments will be available for a donation.
The desserts, coffee, tea and cocoa are prepared by Park Coffee House volunteers. Proceeds benefit the local food pantry operated by Foothills Rural Community Ministry.
Park Coffee House is located just off Main Street (Route 365), at the Twin Churches, across from the village park.
Folk a guitar coffeehouse concert Friday in Clinton
Gryphon Trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Cinema Capitol to host ‘out of this world’ double feature
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Ghost and Toast to premier Saturday at Capitol Theater
- 4:00pm 10/18/18‘Love Loss and What I Wore’ to be performed in Utica
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Folk a guitar coffeehouse concert Friday in Clinton
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Gryphon Trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/18/18View hosts pancake breakfast, open house
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Cincinnati Creek performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/18/18‘Adventures of Tom Sawyer’ opens Oct. 26 at Players of Utica
- 4:00pm 10/18/18Free Big Band concert Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/18/18German Sauerbraten dinner Sunday