THRILLER — Joaquin Phoenix in “You Were Never Really Here” (Photo submitted)
Joaquin Phoenix stars in thriller
Cinema Capitol (230 W. Dominick St.) will present the thriller “You Were Never Really Here” from Friday, April 27-Thursday, May 3
Based upon Jonathan Ames’ novella of the same title and directed by Lynne Ramsay, “You Were Never Really Here” stars Joaquin Phoenix as Joe, a traumatized veteran.
Unafraid of violence, Joe spends his time tracking down missing girls for a living. When a job spins out of control, Joe’s nightmares overtake him as a conspiracy is uncovered leading to what may be his death trip or his awakening.
The movie also stars Judith Roberts, John Doman, and Alex Manette.
At the Cannes Film Festival, Phoenix was awarded “Best Actor” and Ramsay was awarded “Best Screenplay.” At the International Cinephile Society Awards, Ramsay was also awarded “Best Director.”
The Minneapolis Star Tribune writes “A journey to the deepest levels of the dark side, “You Were Never Really Here” is an art-house crime thriller that succeeds on every technical and creative level.” Time Magazine writes “To watch it is to see a rigorous and intensely creative filmmaker at work.”
“You Were Never Really Here” runs 90 minutes and is rated R (for strong violence, disturbing and grisly images, language, and brief nudity).
Admission is $7, $6 for students and military, and $5 for Capitol Friends.
Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7 p.m., Sunday at 1 and 4 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7 p.m. The Friday 4 and Sunday 1 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Kenwood Library hosts Gold Rush Day
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Free cabaret at Stanley to feature high school students
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
- 4:00pm 08/16/18View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Dan Vellone performs Friday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Nina’s Brew performs tonight
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Irish music session Tuesday