Harry Dean Stanton in a scene from “Lucky.” (Magnolia Pictures via AP)
Harry Dean Stanton in one of his final roles
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the drama “Lucky” Nov. 17-23.
Directed by John Carroll Lynch, the film stars Harry Dean Stanton as a 90-year-old atheist. He lives surrounded by quirky characters in an off-the-map desert town.
Having outlived and out smoked all of his contemporaries, the fiercely independent Lucky finds himself at the precipice of life, thrust into a journey of self-exploration, leading towards that which is so often unattainable: enlightenment. The movie also stars David Lynch, Ron Livingston, Tom Skerritt, Beth Grant and Ed Begley Jr.
The movie has been widely praised by critics. The movie was awarded “Prize of the Ecumenical Jury” at the Locarno International Film Festival, “The Fedeora Award” at the Haifa International Film Festival, and Harry Dean Stanton was nominated for “Best Actor at the 2017 Gotham Awards. The movie has a 98 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The Arizona Republic writes that “’Lucky’ is one of Harry Dean Stanton’s last roles, a rare leading performance, and it is a treasure.” The Hollywood Reporter writes, “Even if it weren’t arriving immediately after his death at the age of 91, this effortlessly moving portrait would be a milestone in Stanton’s career.”
The film runs 88 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office at 315-337-6453 and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday through Thursday at 4:15 and 7:15p.m.. The Friday 4:15 and Sunday 1:15 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Documentary offers ‘food for thought’
Cinema presents Academy Award contender from Denmark
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Documentary offers ‘food for thought’
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Cinema presents Academy Award contender from Denmark
- 4:00pm 11/15/1815th Annual MV Latino Association Gala Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Clinton to kick off Shoppers’ Stroll and Holiday Parade Nov. 23-24
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Charity beer, wine tasting Nov. 30
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Visit Hamilton for the Holidays
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Upcoming events at MWPAI include quartet concert, Victorian Yuletide
- 4:00pm 11/13/18"Overloard" is the nightmare after Halloween that makes dreams come true
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Reggae and soul at Hamilton’s Palace