Hamilton College presents San Jose Taiko Friday
CLINTON – Hamilton College Performing Arts presents San Jose Taiko on Friday, Nov. 2 at 7:30 p.m. in Wellin Hall, Schambach Center for Music and the Performing Arts.
San Jose Taiko was founded in 1973 by young Asian Americans searching for an outlet to convey their experiences as third generation Japanese Americans. Looking to Japan for inspiration, they were drawn to the empowering sounds of the taiko - the Japanese drum - an instrument that embodies the spiritual essence and heartbeat of Japan.
Known for synchronized choreography and eclectic musicality, San Jose Taiko is acknowledged as one of the premier taiko ensembles in the world.
In 2010 the Foreign Minister’s office of the Japanese government awarded San Jose Taiko the Foreign Minister’s Commendation of Achievement in recognition of the group’s history and contributions to the taiko art form.
San Jose Taiko is only the second North American taiko group to receive that honor.
In 2011, founding directors Roy and PJ Hirabayashi were recognized as National Endowment for the Arts National Heritage Fellows.
In addition to the Hamilton College performance, San Jose Taiko will present a free mini-concert at the Kirkland Town Library on Thursday, Nov. 1, at 3:30 p.m. and a school performance at Hamilton College for elementary school students in the Clinton, Utica, Waterville and Rome school districts on Friday morning.
Tickets are $20, $15 for senior citizens and $5 for students. For more information, call the box office at 315-859-4331 or visit www.hamilton.edu/performingarts.
The company’s engagement at Hamilton College is made possible through the ArtsCONNECT program of Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation with support from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Reggae and soul at Hamilton’s Palace
Piccininni, Delaney perform Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/13/18"Overloard" is the nightmare after Halloween that makes dreams come true
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Reggae and soul at Hamilton’s Palace
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Piccininni, Delaney perform Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Kiwanis craft fair this weekend
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Film depicts later years of writer Oscar Wilde
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Veterans Day dinner Sunday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Phoenix and Reilly star in Western
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Air Force Heritage of America band plays Monday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Baskets Galore event aids Holy Cross Academy
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Utica College presents musical ‘Cabaret’ starting tonight