Benoit Poelvoorde in “A BRAND NEW TESTAMENT”
French satire movie internationally praised
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the dark comedy “A Brand New Testament” from Feb. 17-23. All screenings of the movie will be in French with English subtitles.
Directed by Jaco Van Dormael, A Brand New Testament is the story of God (Benoît Poelvoorde), who is portrayed in human form as a cynical writer and grumpy sadist living in Brussels, Belgium. God’s favorites pastime is to play practical jokes on humans through contriving Laws of Annoyance, such as ensuring that, when dropped, toast always lands butter-side down.
His 10-year-old daughter, Ea (Pili Groyne), thinks that her father is doing a terrible job of deciding the fate of the world and decides to take over this responsibility for herself. Having stolen the key to his office, Ea hacks into God’s computer, rewriting the rules of the world and leaving God powerless and adamant to regain control.
The movie also stars Catherine Deneuve, François Damiens, and Yolande Moreau.
“A Brand New Testament” has been given numerous awards since its premiere. It was awarded:
“Best Screenplay” at the Francophone Film Awards; “Best International Film” at the Haifa International Film Festival;
“Best Film,” “Best Director,” “Best Screenplay,” and “Best Original Score” at the Magritte Awards, and the “Audience Award” and “Special Jury Prize” at the Norwegian International Film Festival.
“A surreal comedy whose endless visual imagination matches its conceptual wit,” writes The New York Times.
Time Out writes that A Brand New Testament is “A film with a big heart and an even bigger imagination.”
A Brand New Testament runs 113 minutes and is not rated.
Admission is $7, $5 for Capitol Friends and students.
Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and on-line at www.romecapitol.com.
“A Brand New Testament” runs every day from Feb. 17-23. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 1 and 4 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian
Oneida Area Civic Chorale celebrates 50 years
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Catherine Bennett’s art on display at Kallet
- 9:17am 06/19/17Irish music in Oriskany Tuesday
- 8:36am 06/16/17Oneida Area Civic Chorale celebrates 50 years
- 4:00pm 06/15/17Biographical drama ‘Churchill’ showing
- 4:00pm 06/15/17Diane Lane, Alec Baldwin star in romantic comedy
- 4:00pm 06/15/17‘Eraserhead’ due Saturday in Out After Midnight
- 4:00pm 06/15/17Irish music featured Sunday at Fiddlers’ Hall
- 4:00pm 06/15/17Film about ‘Eraserhead’s’ creator
- 4:00pm 06/15/17Parade, celebration participants welcome