Natalie Portman and Lili-Rose Depp in “Planetarium.”
French-Belgian drama stars Portman, Depp
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the French-Belgian drama “Planetarium” from Friday through Sept. 21. The movie will be in English and French. All French dialogue is subtitled in English.
Directed by Rebecca Zlotowski, the film stars Natalie Portman and Lily-Rose Depp as two American sisters and spiritual mediums touring in France just before the breakout of World War II. Skeptical but curious spectators join them onstage for a hypnotic séance with the dead. A film producer (Emmanuel Salinger) dazzled by the sisters’ psychic ability hires them for an ambitious film project to capture even the faintest suggestion of a paranormal manifestation. Little by little, the war creeps in and the producer’s reputation rests entirely on the success of this single effort. Are the sisters nothing but an elaborate act or do they actually possess a dark gift?
The film was nominated for “Best Production Design” at the 2017 Cesar Awards and “Best Music” at the 2017 Lumiere Awards.
The New York Times writes that “It’s unusual to see such excellence in costumes, sets and cinematography.” Cinemalogue.com notes its “visual flourishes and strong performances.”
The film runs 105 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
The film will be shown every day from Sept. 8-21. Show times for the first week of screenings are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7 p.m., Sunday at 1 and 4 p.m., Monday at 7, Tuesday at 3:45, and Wednesday and Thursday at 7 p.m. Show times for its second week are Friday and Saturday at 4, Sunday at 1 and Monday-Thursday at 4 p.m.
Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/15/18RCT Talent Team presents a Night of One Acts Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema Capitol celebrates Pride Month with ‘The Misandrists’
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Country gospel concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Constable Hall hosts annual Arts & Craft Show, Car Cruise-In June 17
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18April Verch Band performs Friday at View
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema continues Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki series
- 4:00pm 06/14/18‘Perry Pareé’ on stage Friday, Saturday in Hamilton