Shahab Hosseim and Taraneh Alidoosti in THE SALESMAN (Photo submitted)
Foreign language Oscar winner opens Friday in Cinema Capitol
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the Oscar-winning Iranian drama “The Salesman” from March 17-March 23. All shows will be in Persian with English subtitles.
“The Salesman”, directed by Asghar Farhadi, is the story of Ranaa (Taraneh Alidooshi) and Emad (Shahab Hosseini), an Iranian couple who are forced to leave their collapsing house. The two also happen to be performers rehearsing for Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman,” and they rent a new apartment from one of their fellow performers.
Unaware of the fact that the previous tenant had been a woman of ill repute, they settle down. By a nasty turn of events, one of the former tenant’s clients pays a visit to the apartment one night while Ranaa is alone and the aftermath turns the peaceful life of the couple upside down.
The movie also stars Babak Karimi, Farid Saijadi, and Mina Sadati.
The movie has been highly acclaimed since its premier at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, where it received awards for “Best Screenplay” and “Best Actor (Hosseini).”
“The Salesman” was the recipient of the Oscar for “Best Foreign Language Film” at the 2017 Academy Awards. This Oscar win drew the attention of the public as Farhadi refused to attend the awards ceremony in protest of a recent executive order involving travel bans; Farhadi had been prevented from entering the United States during its enforcement.
The movie holds a 97 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The Wall Street Journal writes that “The Salesman” is “another instance of this superb filmmaker (Farhadi) turning elusive motivations and the mysteries of personality into gripping drama.”
Empire writes that the movie consists of “Flawless performances, meticulous construction, elegant visuals.”
“The Salesman” runs 125 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for mature thematic elements and a brief bloody image).
Admission is $7 for adults and $5 for Capitol Friends and students. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
“The Salesman” runs every day from March 17-23. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 3:45 and 7:15, Sunday at 12:45 and 3:45, and Monday-Thursday at 7:15.
Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/15/18RCT Talent Team presents a Night of One Acts Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema Capitol celebrates Pride Month with ‘The Misandrists’
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Country gospel concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Constable Hall hosts annual Arts & Craft Show, Car Cruise-In June 17
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18April Verch Band performs Friday at View
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema continues Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki series
- 4:00pm 06/14/18‘Perry Pareé’ on stage Friday, Saturday in Hamilton