FAMED VIOLINIST — Itzhak Perlman, right, and his wife Toby. (Photo submitted)
Film explores the life of Itzhak Perlman
Cinema Capitol will present the documentary “Itzhak” from Friday, April 27-Thursday, May 3
From Schubert to Strauss, Bach to Brahms, Mozart to...Billy Joel, Itzhak Perlman’s violin playing transcends mere performance to evoke the celebrations and struggles of real life; “praying with the violin,” says renowned Tel Aviv violinmaker Amnon Weinstein. This documentary directed by Alison Chernick looks beyond the musician to see the polio survivor whose parents emigrated from Poland to Israel, and the young man who struggled to be taken seriously as a music student when schools saw only his disability. Itzhak himself is funny, irreverent, and self-deprecating, and here his life story unspools in conversations with masterful musicians, family and friends, and most endearingly his devoted wife of 50 years, Toby. Itzhak and Toby’s lives are dedicated to their large, loving, Jewish family and their continual support of young musicians.
RogerEbert.com describes “Itzhak” as “A joyous film about a joyous man.” GLOBE AND MAIL write that “We get to know the man: the jovial grandfather, the joke teller, the dedicated husband, the patient teacher and loyal friend.”
“Itzhak” runs 80 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military, and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Mayfaire on the Green returns to Holland Patent for 8th year
- 4:00pm 05/17/18KAC Spring Dance event Saturday in Clinton
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Limited screenings of sci-fi horror movie
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Bluegrass Music Festival May 19
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Woodwind trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Capitol offers auditions for SummerStage Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Final performance in RACC concert series May 25
- 4:00pm 05/12/18Moss Back Mule Band closes Trinity’s spring series May 19