FAMOUS WRITER — Rupert Everett directs and stars in “The Happy Prince”
Film depicts later years of writer Oscar Wilde
Cinema Capitol (230 W. Dominick St.) will present the biographical movie “The Happy Prince” from Friday, Nov. 9,-Thursday, Nov. 15.
The last days of Irish poet and playwright Oscar Wilde — and the ghosts that haunted them — are vividly evoked in Rupert Everett’s directorial debut. Everett himself stars as Wilde, physically and emotionally embodying the literary genius as he lives out his last days in exile in Europe.
His body ailing and heavy, his mind spinning, he survives by falling back on the flamboyant irony and brilliant wit that defined him. As the film travels through Wilde’s final act and journeys through England, France and Italy, desire and loyalty face off, the transience of lust is laid bare, and the true riches of love are revealed.
The movie also stars Colin Firth, Emily Watson, Tom Wilkinson, and Anna Chancellor.
The Toronto Star writes that “Everett delivers a towering and persuasive performance in a mostly somber and sorrowful film and, as director, does a fine job of capturing the period detail.” Rolling Stone also writes “Director-actor Rupert Everett tackles Oscar Wilde in his later years, and proves this was the role he was born to play. Get ready to marvel at an award-caliber performance.”
“The Happy Prince” runs 105 minutes and is rated R (for sexual content, graphic nudity, language and brief drug use). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military, and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. The Friday 4:15 and Sunday 1:15 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Upcoming events at MWPAI include quartet concert, Victorian Yuletide
Reggae and soul at Hamilton’s Palace
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Upcoming events at MWPAI include quartet concert, Victorian Yuletide
- 4:00pm 11/13/18"Overloard" is the nightmare after Halloween that makes dreams come true
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Reggae and soul at Hamilton’s Palace
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Piccininni, Delaney perform Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Kiwanis craft fair this weekend
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Film depicts later years of writer Oscar Wilde
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Veterans Day dinner Sunday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Phoenix and Reilly star in Western
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Air Force Heritage of America band plays Monday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Baskets Galore event aids Holy Cross Academy