Still from “Dawson City: Frozen Time”
Film centers on discovery of historic prints
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., and the Capitol Theatre, 220 W. Dominick St., will present the documentary “Dawson City: Frozen Time,” from Thursday, Aug. 10 through Monday, Aug. 14.
Tonight’s screening at 5:45 p.m. will take place at the Capitol Theatre, while all others will be held at Cinema Capitol.
Directed by Bill Morrison, the film pieces together the bizarre true history of a long-lost collection of 533 nitrate film prints dating from the early 1900s. Discovered buried under a hockey rink in a former Klondike Gold Rush town, their story reveals the links between the movie business and Manifest Destiny in North America.
The Los Angeles Times writes that “The thrilling documentary… is indescribable not because it’s ambiguous (it’s totally straightforward) but because it does so many things so beautifully.” The National Post also writes that the movie “is a beautiful ride through early filmdom, and a rare glimpse at a period of cinema history that has suffered from both accident and neglect.”
The film runs 120 minutes and is not rated.
Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. As this documentary is being held in conjunction with the Capitolfest film festival Aug. 11-13, patrons who have registered for any portion of Capitolfest may view the documentary for $5. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. The movie runs every day Aug. 10-14. Show times are Thursday at 3 and 5:45, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 1, 4 and 7, and Monday at 7.
There are no captioned show times for this movie.
Easter Bunny helps Lainey’s Army March 24
Drama depicts actress in her later years
- 4:00pm 03/19/18Tickets available for 31st annual Epicurean Delight
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Easter Bunny helps Lainey’s Army March 24
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Drama depicts actress in her later years
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Dakota Fanning stars in ‘Please Stand By’
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Rattlin’ Bog performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Bluegrass jam Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Joseph Daley Tuba Trio performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Legion hosts St. Patrick’s Day event
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Pre-Easter fun day March 24
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Bunny Cares event Sunday