Still from “Dawson City: Frozen Time”
Film centers on discovery of historic prints
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., and the Capitol Theatre, 220 W. Dominick St., will present the documentary “Dawson City: Frozen Time,” from Thursday, Aug. 10 through Monday, Aug. 14.
Tonight’s screening at 5:45 p.m. will take place at the Capitol Theatre, while all others will be held at Cinema Capitol.
Directed by Bill Morrison, the film pieces together the bizarre true history of a long-lost collection of 533 nitrate film prints dating from the early 1900s. Discovered buried under a hockey rink in a former Klondike Gold Rush town, their story reveals the links between the movie business and Manifest Destiny in North America.
The Los Angeles Times writes that “The thrilling documentary… is indescribable not because it’s ambiguous (it’s totally straightforward) but because it does so many things so beautifully.” The National Post also writes that the movie “is a beautiful ride through early filmdom, and a rare glimpse at a period of cinema history that has suffered from both accident and neglect.”
The film runs 120 minutes and is not rated.
Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. As this documentary is being held in conjunction with the Capitolfest film festival Aug. 11-13, patrons who have registered for any portion of Capitolfest may view the documentary for $5. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. The movie runs every day Aug. 10-14. Show times are Thursday at 3 and 5:45, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 1, 4 and 7, and Monday at 7.
There are no captioned show times for this movie.
Copper City Brewery hosts Tom Petty tribute band Saturday
Drama features architecture of Columbus, Ind.
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Hogwarts at Hamilton event Oct. 27 and 28
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Copper City Brewery hosts Tom Petty tribute band Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Drama features architecture of Columbus, Ind.
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Rising Stars presents ‘15 Miles on the Erie Canal’ Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Kenny G performs at The Stanley Nov. 5
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Chamber Music Society presents Trio con Brio Copenhagen
- 4:00pm 10/19/17CNY Zombie Prom aids Kallet
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Stanley hosts ‘A Gentleman’s Guide to Love & Murder’
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Jazzin’ It Up at the Other Side Friday
- 4:00pm 10/19/17F.I.L.M. series kicks-off with tribute to David Shepard