Festival Saturday features 10 bands honoring Al Nathan
A full-day festival of music for a good cause is coming to The Stanley Theatre from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, May 20 for the Al Nathan Tribute Concert, presented by the Utica Teachers Association and Big Apple Music.
Tickets are on sale for $20 for general admission and $30 for the V.I.P. package (includes V.I.P. seating and an event T-shirt).
Additional service charges may apply. Tickets are available at the box office Monday through Friday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., or call the Stanley Box Office at 315-724-4000, or go to Ticketmaster.com.
The concert will be held to honor the late Al Nathan, a local musician and educator, and will benefit the Al Nathan Music Scholarship for a graduating senior from Proctor High School in Utica.
The concert, which will run continually from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., will present 10 featured local bands performing their own half hour sets, and five acoustic artists who will cover the change over between acts.
The featured bands include Bluestreak, The Matt Lomeo Band, Lacking Larry, Simple Props, The Crazy Fools, Showtime, Last Left, The Blarney Rebel Band, Fritz’s Polka Band and The Fulton Chain Gang. The acoustic artists include Mark Bolos Sr., Plainfellow, Al Sherline, Jeremy Ukena and Brian Mulkerne.
“Al was one of a kind and had a personality that was larger than life,” said Tony Adamo, Al’s former band-mate. “I got to know Al well playing ‘gigs’ with him over the last six years or so. He was highly regarded in the local music scene, almost like royalty.”
Adamo said, “It was literally an honor to share the stage with him each and every time. It was never rehearsed, we just played and it came together. Blues, jazz, Rock N’ Roll, it didn’t matter. It was always genuine and always fun. That, in itself was special and something that I will sorely miss.”
The concert event is sponsored by The Utica Teachers Association, Meyda Lighting, Big Apple Music and Swifty’s Restaurant and Pub.
Cinema Capitol presents 1984 film ‘Gremlins’
‘Stroll Through the Center’ Christmas music event at RACC
- 4:00pm 12/15/17Cinema Capitol presents 1984 film ‘Gremlins’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17‘Stroll Through the Center’ Christmas music event at RACC
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Critically acclaimed ‘Lady Bird’ at Cinema Capitol starting Friday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Theater’s holiday tradition continues with ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Out After Midnite offers Norwegian drama
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Cinema screens drama ‘Let There Be Light’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Bluegrass jam Saturday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17America concert tickets on sale now
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Breakfast with Santa Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Irish music in Oriskany