Gemma Arterton in ‘Their Finest’ (Photo submitted)
Drama set in Britain in 1940
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the British drama “Their Finest” from May 12-May 18.
Set in London in 1940, England is bowed down by war when the British ministry decides to use propaganda films to boost morale at home. Realizing their films could use “a woman’s touch,” the ministry hires Catrin Cole (Gemma Arterton) as a scriptwriter. Although her artist husband looks down on her job, Catrin’s natural flair quickly gets her noticed by cynical, witty lead scriptwriter Buckley (Sam Claflin). Catrin and Buckley set out to make an epic feature film based on the Dunkirk rescue starring the gloriously vain, former matinee idol Ambrose Hilliard (Bill Nighy). As bombs are dropping all around them, Catrin, Buckley, and their colorful cast and crew work furiously to make a film that will warm the hearts of the nation.
The movie also stars Rachael Stirling, Jack Huston, Henry Goodman, and Jack Lacy.
“Their Finest” has been received positively by critics since its premier. The movie was awarded “Best Feature Film” at the 2017 Göteborg Film Festival.
Empire writes that “Anchored by a superb Gemma Arterton, “Their Finest” is a funny, winning, beautifully acted ode to working women and cinema.”
The Wall Street Journal writes that ““Their Finest” is one of the smartest, funniest and most surprising movies…seen in years.”
“Their Finest” runs 117 minutes and is rated R (for some language and seen of sensuality).
Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for students, and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the box office (315-337-6453) and at www.romecapitol.com.
“Their Finest” runs every day from May 12-8. Shows are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7:30, Sunday at 1 and 4, and Monday-Thursday at 7:30. The Friday 4 and Sunday 1 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Copper City Brewery hosts Tom Petty tribute band Saturday
Drama features architecture of Columbus, Ind.
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Hogwarts at Hamilton event Oct. 27 and 28
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Copper City Brewery hosts Tom Petty tribute band Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Drama features architecture of Columbus, Ind.
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Rising Stars presents ‘15 Miles on the Erie Canal’ Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Kenny G performs at The Stanley Nov. 5
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Chamber Music Society presents Trio con Brio Copenhagen
- 4:00pm 10/19/17CNY Zombie Prom aids Kallet
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Stanley hosts ‘A Gentleman’s Guide to Love & Murder’
- 4:00pm 10/19/17Jazzin’ It Up at the Other Side Friday
- 4:00pm 10/19/17F.I.L.M. series kicks-off with tribute to David Shepard