Gemma Arterton in ‘Their Finest’ (Photo submitted)
Drama set in Britain in 1940
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the British drama “Their Finest” from May 12-May 18.
Set in London in 1940, England is bowed down by war when the British ministry decides to use propaganda films to boost morale at home. Realizing their films could use “a woman’s touch,” the ministry hires Catrin Cole (Gemma Arterton) as a scriptwriter. Although her artist husband looks down on her job, Catrin’s natural flair quickly gets her noticed by cynical, witty lead scriptwriter Buckley (Sam Claflin). Catrin and Buckley set out to make an epic feature film based on the Dunkirk rescue starring the gloriously vain, former matinee idol Ambrose Hilliard (Bill Nighy). As bombs are dropping all around them, Catrin, Buckley, and their colorful cast and crew work furiously to make a film that will warm the hearts of the nation.
The movie also stars Rachael Stirling, Jack Huston, Henry Goodman, and Jack Lacy.
“Their Finest” has been received positively by critics since its premier. The movie was awarded “Best Feature Film” at the 2017 Göteborg Film Festival.
Empire writes that “Anchored by a superb Gemma Arterton, “Their Finest” is a funny, winning, beautifully acted ode to working women and cinema.”
The Wall Street Journal writes that ““Their Finest” is one of the smartest, funniest and most surprising movies…seen in years.”
“Their Finest” runs 117 minutes and is rated R (for some language and seen of sensuality).
Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for students, and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the box office (315-337-6453) and at www.romecapitol.com.
“Their Finest” runs every day from May 12-8. Shows are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7:30, Sunday at 1 and 4, and Monday-Thursday at 7:30. The Friday 4 and Sunday 1 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Cazenovia Counterpoint includes live music, art exhibits honoring women
‘King Kong Vs. Godzilla’ starts summer series at Capitol
- 4:00pm 06/28/17Cazenovia Counterpoint includes live music, art exhibits honoring women
- 4:00pm 06/26/17‘King Kong Vs. Godzilla’ starts summer series at Capitol
- 4:00pm 06/22/17Fiddlers Association concert Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/22/17Summer Showcase auditions June 26, 27 at Players of Utica
- 4:00pm 06/22/17Donations accepted Friday at ‘Big Combo’ showing
- 4:00pm 06/22/17‘Apparition Hill’ about life and what comes after
- 4:00pm 06/22/17Trail Blazers-Jammers baseball game benefit for Relay for Life
- 4:00pm 06/22/17Drama based on Doctorow story
- 4:00pm 06/22/17Both movies held over at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian