Haley Lu Richardson and John Cho in “Columbus” (Photo submitted)
Drama features architecture of Columbus, Ind.
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the drama “Columbus” Friday through Thursday.
The film was directed by Kogonada. When a renowned architecture scholar falls suddenly ill during a speaking tour, his son Jin (John Cho) finds himself stranded in Columbus, Indiana - a small Midwestern city celebrated for its many significant modernist buildings. Jin strikes up a friendship with Casey (Haley Lu Richardson), a young architecture enthusiast who works at the local library. As their intimacy develops, Jin and Casey explore both the town and their conflicted emotions: Jin’s estranged relationship with his father, and Casey’s reluctance to leave Columbus and her mother. The movie also stars Parker Posey and Rory Culkin.
“Columbus” was awarded “Best Feature Film” at the Valletta Film Festival, as well as the prize for Narrative Feature at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. The movie has a 97 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The Salt Lake Tribune writes that the film is “a tender, beautiful gem that should not be overlooked.” The Arizona Republic writes that “Architecture has never been more romantic than in “Columbus,” single-name director Kogonada’s stunningly beautiful film.
The film runs 104 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Film based on ‘Winnie The Pooh’ creator
Capitol screens holiday classic
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Film based on ‘Winnie The Pooh’ creator
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Capitol screens holiday classic
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Drama stars Harrelson as President Johnson
- 4:00pm 11/22/17‘A Christmas Carol’ concert this weekend in Lowville
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Ladies’ Night event aids Adopt-A-Mom program
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Symphoria concert Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Irish music in Oriskany Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Colgate jazz group performs Dec. 1
- 4:00pm 11/17/17Area happenings
- 4:00pm 11/16/17Cinema presents comedy-horror ‘Tragedy Girls’