Haley Lu Richardson and John Cho in “Columbus” (Photo submitted)
Drama features architecture of Columbus, Ind.
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the drama “Columbus” Friday through Thursday.
The film was directed by Kogonada. When a renowned architecture scholar falls suddenly ill during a speaking tour, his son Jin (John Cho) finds himself stranded in Columbus, Indiana - a small Midwestern city celebrated for its many significant modernist buildings. Jin strikes up a friendship with Casey (Haley Lu Richardson), a young architecture enthusiast who works at the local library. As their intimacy develops, Jin and Casey explore both the town and their conflicted emotions: Jin’s estranged relationship with his father, and Casey’s reluctance to leave Columbus and her mother. The movie also stars Parker Posey and Rory Culkin.
“Columbus” was awarded “Best Feature Film” at the Valletta Film Festival, as well as the prize for Narrative Feature at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. The movie has a 97 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The Salt Lake Tribune writes that the film is “a tender, beautiful gem that should not be overlooked.” The Arizona Republic writes that “Architecture has never been more romantic than in “Columbus,” single-name director Kogonada’s stunningly beautiful film.
The film runs 104 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/15/18RCT Talent Team presents a Night of One Acts Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema Capitol celebrates Pride Month with ‘The Misandrists’
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Country gospel concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Constable Hall hosts annual Arts & Craft Show, Car Cruise-In June 17
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18April Verch Band performs Friday at View
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema continues Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki series
- 4:00pm 06/14/18‘Perry Pareé’ on stage Friday, Saturday in Hamilton