documentary — “Saving Brinton” follows eccentric Iowan collector Mike Zahs who, in his country farmhouse, made a remarkable discovery: the showreels of the man who brought moving pictures to America’s Heartland. (Photo submitted)
Documentary explores the discovery of rare film in ‘Saving Brinton’
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the documentary “Saving Brinton” from Thursday, Aug. 9 to Thursday, Aug. 16.
“Saving Brinton” follows eccentric Iowan collector Mike Zahs who, in his country farmhouse, made a remarkable discovery: the showreels of the man who brought moving pictures to America’s Heartland. Among the treasures: rare footage of President Teddy Roosevelt, the first moving images from Burma, and a lost relic from magical effects godfather Georges Méliés. These are the films that introduced movies to the world, and they didn’t end up in Iowa by accident. The old nitrate reels are just some of the artifacts that belonged to William Franklin Brinton. From thousands of trinkets, handwritten journals, receipts, posters, and catalogs emerges the story of an inventive farmboy who became America’s greatest barnstorming movieman.
“Saving Brinton” runs 87 minutes and is not rated. Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for students and military, and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. “Saving Brinton” will be shown each day from Thursday, Aug. 9-Thursday, Aug. 16. Show times are Thursday at 4:15 p.m., Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15, Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15, Monday at 10:30 and 7:15, and Tuesday-Thursday at 7:15. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Rome Community Theater to present six one-act plays
Tickets on sale for Disney On Ice in Syracuse
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Center to host Halloween party for kids
- 4:00pm 10/15/18Rome Community Theater to present six one-act plays
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Tickets on sale for Disney On Ice in Syracuse
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Falling for Utica Festival Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Monk Rowe and the Roots of Rock and Roll concert Friday
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Cinema wraps up ‘Retro Nightmares’ series
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Turning Stone, SU host native film events
- 4:00pm 10/11/18MVCC Drama Club presents weekend of entertainment
- 4:00pm 10/11/18RACC hosts Halloween events
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Pianist Fei-Fei to perform at Hamilton College on Oct. 21