Documentary explores legalization of gay marriage
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the documentary “To a More Perfect Union: U.S. V. Windsor” from Friday to Thursday.
The film chronicles unlikely heroes — octogenarian Edie Windsor and her attorney, Roberta Kaplan — on their quest for justice. Edie had been forced to pay a huge estate tax bill upon the death of her spouse because the federal government denied federal benefits to same-sex couples. Deeply offended by this lack of recognition of her more than 40-year relationship, she decided to sue the U.S. government. Windsor and Kaplan’s legal and personal journeys are told in their own words, and through interviews with others of the legal team, movement activists, legal analysts, well-known supporters and opponents.
The documentary was given the Award of Excellence at the Accolade Global Film Competition and the Impact Docs Awards. Gay City News writes that the documentary is “A vivid and triumphant tale.”
The movie runs 63 minutes and is not rated. The feature will be followed by an interview with Roberta Kaplan, which runs approximately 10 minutes. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Free cabaret at Stanley to feature high school students
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
- 4:00pm 08/16/18View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Dan Vellone performs Friday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Nina’s Brew performs tonight
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Sesame Street visits NYS fair