Dark comedy ‘Death of Stalin’ on Cinema screen
Cinema Capitol (230 W. Dominick St.) will present the black comedy “The Death of Stalin” from Friday, April 20-Thursday, April 26.
The one-liners fly as fast as political fortunes fall in “The Death of Stalin”, an irreverent satire from Armando Iannucci. Moscow, 1953: when tyrannical dictator Joseph Stalin dies, his cronies square off in a frantic power struggle to be the next Soviet leader. Among the contenders are the dweeby Georgy Malenkov (Jeffrey Tambor), the wily Nikita Khrushchev (Steve Buscemi), and the sadistic secret police chief Lavrentiy Beria (Simon Russell Beale).
But as they bumble, brawl, and backstab their way to the top, just who is running the government? The movie also stars Rupert Friend, Jason Isaacs, Michael Palin, Andrea Riseborough, Richard Brake, and Jonathan Aris.
At the British Independent Film Awards, “The Death of Stalin” was awarded “Best Supporting Actor” (Beale), “Best Casting,” “Best Make Up & Hair Design,” and “Best Production Design.” The movie has a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Rolling Stone writes “It’s the funniest, fiercest comedy of the year.” The Arizona Republic writes “‘The Death of Stalin” makes real-life horrors the source of hilarity - and it is hilarious - while never making light of the insanity that inspired it.”
“The Death of Stalin” runs 107 minutes and is rated R (for language throughout, violence, and some sexual references). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military, and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. The Friday 4:15 and Sunday 1:15 show times will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Kenwood Library hosts Gold Rush Day
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Rock the Cap benefit Saturday
- 4:00pm 08/17/18Free cabaret at Stanley to feature high school students
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
- 4:00pm 08/16/18View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Dan Vellone performs Friday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Nina’s Brew performs tonight
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Irish music session Tuesday