FLYING HIGH — Scene from “Kiki’s Delivery Service”
Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the Japanese animated fantasy movie “Kiki’s Delivery Service” from Friday through Thursday. There will be show times offered in both Japanese (with subtitles) and English.
Released in 1989, the movie was animated by Studio Ghibli and was directed by Hayao Miyazaki. 13-year-old Kiki moves to a seaside town with her talking cat, Jiji, to spend a year alone, in accordance with her village’s tradition for witches in training.
After learning to control her broomstick, Kiki sets up a flying courier service and soon becomes a fixture in the community. But when the insecure young witch begins questioning herself and loses her magic abilities, she must overcome her self-doubt to regain her powers.
The movie was awarded Best Anime, Best Female Character and Best Anime Theme Song at the 12th Anime Grand Prix. The movie was also awarded Best Film and Best Director at the Japan Cinema Association Awards. The movie has a 97 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The Chicago Reader writes of the movie that “The characters are gently and warmly rendered, and a climactic action sequence involving an unmoored dirigible hints at the stately grandiosity of Miyazaki’s masterpiece Howl’s Moving Castle.’”
The film runs 102 minutes and is rated G. Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m.
While most show times will include the original Japanese-language movie, Saturday’s 4:15 p.m. and Sunday’s 1:15 p.m. show times will be dubbed in English.
MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Flashlight tours part of First Friday fun
- 4:00pm 09/20/18MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dogumentary’ follows quest of puppy litter
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Jankiewicz performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18CNY Royalty and Rogues Festival comes to Stittville
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Capitol screens ‘Bad Reputation’ Wednesday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Film ‘Bel Canto’ features voice of singer Renée Fleming
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Peter, Paul and George perform Saturday in Oneida
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Opera ‘The Falling and the Rising’ Sunday at View