Affleck in “A Ghost Story”
Cinema Capitol screens ‘A Ghost Story’
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the supernatural drama “A Ghost Story” from Friday, Aug. 11 to Thursday, Aug. 24.
Directed by David Lowery, the film follows a recently deceased white-sheeted ghost (Casey Affleck), as he returns to his suburban home to console his bereft wife (Rooney Mara). In his spectral state he has become unstuck in time, forced to watch passively as the life he knew and the woman he loves slowly slip away. Increasingly unmoored, the ghost embarks on a cosmic journey through memory and history, confronting life’s ineffable questions and the enormity of existence. The movie also stars Will Oldham and Rob Zabrecky.
Well-received by critics and audiences, the film was nominated for an “Audience Award” at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival.
The movie holds a 90 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Matt Zoller Seitz of RogerEbert.com writes “I loved everything about it.” The Hollywood Reporter also writes that it’s “A poetic meditation on time, memory and spiritual connection that is utterly true to its title.”
The movie runs 87 minutes and is rated R (for brief language and a disturbing image). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
The movie runs every day Aug. 11-24. Show times for the first week of screenings (Aug. 11-17) are at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m. Show times for the second week of screenings (Aug. 18-24) are at 4:15 p.m. The 4:15 screenings on Friday and Sunday will include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Western-comedy features Pattinson, Wasikowska
Nick Offerman stars in ‘feel good’ film
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Western-comedy features Pattinson, Wasikowska
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Nick Offerman stars in ‘feel good’ film
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Fright Night Series features ‘The Devil’s Doorway’
- 4:00pm 07/12/18RCT announces 65th season
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Irish music session July 17
- 4:00pm 07/12/18Tale as old as time at View
- 4:00pm 07/11/18‘Mary Poppins – The Musical’ takes stage at Capitol
- 4:00pm 07/05/18Adirondack storyteller Bill Smith performs Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/05/18Family show ‘Snow White’ at View
- 4:00pm 07/05/18Capitol screens film based on Rome’s World Series of Bocce