ALLIANCE CLASSICAL — The group Alliance Classical will present chamber music at Rome Art and Community Center Aug. 19. From left: Paula Kinev, French horn; oboist Kathryn Dimmel; Greg Unangst, pianist; and Janelle Bookhout, oboe.
Chamber music concert at RACC Aug. 19
Rome Art and Community Center presents “Classical at the Center” Aug. 19 at 7 p.m., featuring members of the Alliance Classical Players.
The concert will be held in the large gallery at RACC, 308 W. Bloomfield St. Tickets are $10, with discounts for RACC members. To reserve a ticket or more information, call (315) 336-1040. Tickets will also be available at the door.
The program includes four works for both small and large chamber ensembles. The concert begins with trios for two oboes and piano, “The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba” from the oratorio “Solomon” by Handel, and “Concerto for Two Oboes and Piano” by Willem de Fesch. Performers of these pieces are oboists Kathryn Dimmel and Janelle Bookhout, both of Syracuse, with Greg Unangst of Rome on piano.
Also on the concert bill is “Irish Spirit” for clarinet and bass marimba, composed by Canadian composer Bill Douglas. In two movements, the piece contains elements of Celtic flavor as well as jazz influences. Performers are clarinetist Colleen O’Neil of Rome and marimba player Aaron Decker of Mohawk. Decker is a music teacher in Rome.
The concert concludes with “Partita Octet Op. 69” by composer Franz Krommer. The piece is for traditional wind octet, utilizing two oboes, two clarinets, two bassoons and two French horns. In four movements, the work embodies musical characteristics of the classical period. Performers include Bookhout and Dimmel on oboes, O’Neil and Dan Pace on clarinets, bassoonists Sue Daves and Ed Marshilok, and French horn players Claire McKenney and Paula Kinev.
Alliance Classical Players recently partnered with RACC to present chamber music concerts that appeal to a wide variety of audiences.
Cinema Capitol presents 1984 film ‘Gremlins’
‘Stroll Through the Center’ Christmas music event at RACC
- 4:00pm 12/15/17Cinema Capitol presents 1984 film ‘Gremlins’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17‘Stroll Through the Center’ Christmas music event at RACC
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Critically acclaimed ‘Lady Bird’ at Cinema Capitol starting Friday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Theater’s holiday tradition continues with ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Out After Midnite offers Norwegian drama
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Cinema screens drama ‘Let There Be Light’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Bluegrass jam Saturday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17America concert tickets on sale now
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Breakfast with Santa Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Irish music in Oriskany