‘Certain Women’ drama opens Friday
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the drama “Certain Women” starting Friday and running through next Thursday.
“Certain Women” is directed by Kelly Reichardt and is based upon stories from fiction writer Maile Meloy’s collection “Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It.” Set in Montana, the film tells the story of the intersecting lives of three strong-willed women:
- Laura Wells (Laura Dern), a lawyer who finds herself contending with both office sexism and a hostage situation;
- Michelle Williams, a wife and mother whose determination to build her dream home puts her at odds with the men in her life; and
- Beth Travis (Kristen Stewart), a young law student who forms an ambiguous bond with a lonely ranch hand (Lily Gladstone).
The film also stars James LeGros, Jared Harris, and René Auberjonois.
The film has received numerous awards and nominations since its premiere at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. These have included Best Supporting Actress (Gladstone) from the Indiewire Critics’ Poll, and Breakthrough Artist (Gladstone) from the San Diego Film Critics Society Awards.
“Powerful, focused, nervy, lean. ‘Certain Women’ is a work of art produced by a director in full control of her material. It leaves you reeling,” writes Sight and Sound.
The Detroit News writes that the film is “as elegant and graceful as the vast Montana landscape.”
The movie runs 107 minutes and is rated R (for some language).
Admission is $7, $5 for Capitol Friends and students. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
The movie runs every day Friday through Thursday. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 1 and 4 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The Friday show at 4 and Sunday show at 1 include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Scorsese films tells of hardships during ‘Hidden Christians’ era
‘Fences’ returns with award-winning actress
- 4:00pm 01/21/17Roast pork dinner slated Jan. 29
- 4:00pm 01/19/17Scorsese films tells of hardships during ‘Hidden Christians’ era
- 4:00pm 01/19/17‘Fences’ returns with award-winning actress
- 4:00pm 01/19/17String Bee plays at Trinity Jan. 21
- 4:00pm 01/19/17Films by teens, for teens offered Friday downtown
- 4:00pm 01/19/17Miller film in View Saturday highlights snow sports around world
- 4:00pm 01/19/17Snofest a multi-day celebration of winter
- 4:00pm 01/19/17Area happenings
- 4:00pm 01/14/17Cincinnati Creek plays Tuesday
- 4:00pm 01/13/17Concert to aid pipeline protesters