‘Certain Women’ drama opens Friday
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the drama “Certain Women” starting Friday and running through next Thursday.
“Certain Women” is directed by Kelly Reichardt and is based upon stories from fiction writer Maile Meloy’s collection “Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It.” Set in Montana, the film tells the story of the intersecting lives of three strong-willed women:
- Laura Wells (Laura Dern), a lawyer who finds herself contending with both office sexism and a hostage situation;
- Michelle Williams, a wife and mother whose determination to build her dream home puts her at odds with the men in her life; and
- Beth Travis (Kristen Stewart), a young law student who forms an ambiguous bond with a lonely ranch hand (Lily Gladstone).
The film also stars James LeGros, Jared Harris, and René Auberjonois.
The film has received numerous awards and nominations since its premiere at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. These have included Best Supporting Actress (Gladstone) from the Indiewire Critics’ Poll, and Breakthrough Artist (Gladstone) from the San Diego Film Critics Society Awards.
“Powerful, focused, nervy, lean. ‘Certain Women’ is a work of art produced by a director in full control of her material. It leaves you reeling,” writes Sight and Sound.
The Detroit News writes that the film is “as elegant and graceful as the vast Montana landscape.”
The movie runs 107 minutes and is rated R (for some language).
Admission is $7, $5 for Capitol Friends and students. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
The movie runs every day Friday through Thursday. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 1 and 4 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The Friday show at 4 and Sunday show at 1 include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Animated Oscar nominee opens Friday Choice of subtitled or English showings
Movie depicts controversial marriage of African king
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Turning Stone launches online gaming application
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Animated Oscar nominee opens Friday Choice of subtitled or English showings
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Movie depicts controversial marriage of African king
- 4:00pm 03/23/17First Iranian Vampire Western Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Trombonist, singer open ArtHouse series Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Documentary focuses on juvenile justice system
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Area happenings
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Free snowshoe hike on rail trail
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Mystery dinner theater aids Chubbuck Foundation
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Italian Tour concert comes home