WWI DRAMA — Asa Butterfield as Raleigh in “Journey’s End” (Photo submitted)
Butterfield, Claflin star in WWI drama
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the war drama “Journey’s End” Friday through Thursday.
The film is based upon the 1928 play of the same name by R. C. Sherriff. In March 1918, C-company arrives to take its turn in the front-line trenches of northern France, led by the war-weary Captain Stanhope (Sam Claflin). With a German offensive imminently approaching, the officers (Paul Bettany, Stephen Graham, Tom Sturridge) and their cook (Toby Jones) use food and the memories of their lives before the war to distract themselves, while Stanhope soaks his fear in whisky, unable to deal with the dread of the inevitable.
A young officer (Asa Butterfield) arrives fresh out of training and excited for his first real posting — mainly because he is to serve under Stanhope, his former school house monitor and the object of his sister’s affections. Each man is trapped, the days ticking by, the tension rising and the attack drawing ever closer. The movie also stars Miles Jupp and Robert Glenister.
Sam Claflin was nominated for an “Evening Standard British Film Award” for his performance. The movie has a 93 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
RogerEbert.com writes that the movie is “An intelligent, meticulously crafted drama.” Globe and Mail write “The actors are superb at impressing some humanity onto this ugliness.”
The film runs 107 minutes and is rated R (for some language and war images). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7 p.m., Sunday at 1 and 4 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Spektral Quartet to perform at Hamilton College April 21
MWPAI Concerts in the Court Hosts Tribute to Jazz Legend
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Spektral Quartet to perform at Hamilton College April 21
- 4:00pm 04/19/18MWPAI Concerts in the Court Hosts Tribute to Jazz Legend
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Out After Midnite presents Estonian fantasy
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Dark comedy ‘Death of Stalin’ on Cinema screen
- 4:00pm 04/19/18DuffleBag Theatre presents ‘Little Red Riding Hood’
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Spring Swing concert Sunday at Colgate
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Polish Home hosts spaghetti dinner
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Masterworks Chorale performs with Symphoria
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Singer, Songwriter Showcase April 28
- 4:00pm 04/17/18Stanley to host Fine Food events