WWI DRAMA — Asa Butterfield as Raleigh in “Journey’s End” (Photo submitted)
Butterfield, Claflin star in WWI drama
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the war drama “Journey’s End” Friday through Thursday.
The film is based upon the 1928 play of the same name by R. C. Sherriff. In March 1918, C-company arrives to take its turn in the front-line trenches of northern France, led by the war-weary Captain Stanhope (Sam Claflin). With a German offensive imminently approaching, the officers (Paul Bettany, Stephen Graham, Tom Sturridge) and their cook (Toby Jones) use food and the memories of their lives before the war to distract themselves, while Stanhope soaks his fear in whisky, unable to deal with the dread of the inevitable.
A young officer (Asa Butterfield) arrives fresh out of training and excited for his first real posting — mainly because he is to serve under Stanhope, his former school house monitor and the object of his sister’s affections. Each man is trapped, the days ticking by, the tension rising and the attack drawing ever closer. The movie also stars Miles Jupp and Robert Glenister.
Sam Claflin was nominated for an “Evening Standard British Film Award” for his performance. The movie has a 93 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
RogerEbert.com writes that the movie is “An intelligent, meticulously crafted drama.” Globe and Mail write “The actors are superb at impressing some humanity onto this ugliness.”
The film runs 107 minutes and is rated R (for some language and war images). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4 and 7 p.m., Sunday at 1 and 4 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/20/18MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dogumentary’ follows quest of puppy litter
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Jankiewicz performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18CNY Royalty and Rogues Festival comes to Stittville
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Capitol screens ‘Bad Reputation’ Wednesday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Film ‘Bel Canto’ features voice of singer Renée Fleming
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Peter, Paul and George perform Saturday in Oneida
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Opera ‘The Falling and the Rising’ Sunday at View
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Kallet hosts Makin’ Bacon Festival festival Sept. 29