psychedelic pop — “The Beatles: Yellow Submarine” graces the Capitol screen starting Friday
Beatles classic on Cinema Capitol screen
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the 1968 British animated musical fantasy-comedy film “Yellow Submarine” Friday through Thursday.
An icon of psychedelic pop culture, “Yellow Submarine” is a colorful musical spectacle and an exhilaratingly joyful cinematic experience for all ages.
Inspired by the music of The Beatles (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr), the movie follows the music-loving inhabitants of Pepperland, which is under siege by a nasty group of music-hating creatures called the Blue Meanies.
The Lord Mayor of Pepperland (Dick Emery) dispatches sailor Old Fred (Lance Percival) to Liverpool, England, where he is to recruit the help of the Beatles. The sympathetic Beatles ride a yellow submarine to the occupied Pepperland, where the Blue Meanies have no chance against the Fab Four’s groovy tunes.
Time Magazine writes that the film is “a breakthrough combination of the feature film and art’s intimacy with the unconscious.” Variety writes:
“Here are all the ingredients of a novel entertainment.” The movie has a 96 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The movie runs 90 minutes and is not rated.
Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
- 4:00pm 08/16/18View hosts Sweetback Sisters
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Dan Vellone performs Friday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Nina’s Brew performs tonight
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Sesame Street visits NYS fair
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Registration open for Rising Stars at Capitol Theatre
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Cinema shows horror film set in 1984 suburbia