psychedelic pop — “The Beatles: Yellow Submarine” graces the Capitol screen starting Friday
Beatles classic on Cinema Capitol screen
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the 1968 British animated musical fantasy-comedy film “Yellow Submarine” Friday through Thursday.
An icon of psychedelic pop culture, “Yellow Submarine” is a colorful musical spectacle and an exhilaratingly joyful cinematic experience for all ages.
Inspired by the music of The Beatles (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr), the movie follows the music-loving inhabitants of Pepperland, which is under siege by a nasty group of music-hating creatures called the Blue Meanies.
The Lord Mayor of Pepperland (Dick Emery) dispatches sailor Old Fred (Lance Percival) to Liverpool, England, where he is to recruit the help of the Beatles. The sympathetic Beatles ride a yellow submarine to the occupied Pepperland, where the Blue Meanies have no chance against the Fab Four’s groovy tunes.
Time Magazine writes that the film is “a breakthrough combination of the feature film and art’s intimacy with the unconscious.” Variety writes:
“Here are all the ingredients of a novel entertainment.” The movie has a 96 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The movie runs 90 minutes and is not rated.
Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Rome Community Theater to present six one-act plays
Tickets on sale for Disney On Ice in Syracuse
- 4:00pm 10/15/18Rome Community Theater to present six one-act plays
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Tickets on sale for Disney On Ice in Syracuse
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Falling for Utica Festival Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Monk Rowe and the Roots of Rock and Roll concert Friday
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Cinema wraps up ‘Retro Nightmares’ series
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Turning Stone, SU host native film events
- 4:00pm 10/11/18MVCC Drama Club presents weekend of entertainment
- 4:00pm 10/11/18RACC hosts Halloween events
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Pianist Fei-Fei to perform at Hamilton College on Oct. 21
- 4:00pm 10/11/18RCIL to host annual brunch