“Voyage II” — Artwork by Nishiki Sugawara-Beda; acrylic and watercolor on paper mounted on wood, 2014 (Image submitted)
Art center hosts ‘Mélange’ exhibit reception Saturday
CLINTON — Kirkland Art Center, 9 /12 E. Park Row, is exhibiting the works of artists Nishiki Sugawara-Beda and Miya Hannan in the Main Gallery through March 30 in a show entitled, “Mélange.”
The opening reception will take place from 4-6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25. Gallery hours are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday - Friday.
Sugawara-Beda was born and raised in Japan, where she learned “Sumi-e,” the Japanese art of ink painting, which was a foundation as well as an inspiration for her art. She has a bachelor’s of fine arts degree from Portland State University, and a masters of fine arts in painting from Indiana University.
“I use watercolor paper for its ability to capture the ink of a brush. Calligraphy is a dance, frozen in time, which once executed cannot be revisited,” said Sugawara-Beda. “As in the Japanese tradition of the craft, I am a performer on the surface of the paper as I choose those aspects of the language I wish to reveal, and those I may wish to wash away in ambiguity.”
Hannan’s art is influenced by her scientific education as well as Asian death philosophy and rituals. Her art is representative of her view on the world that is made of links between human lives and histories. Hannan’s work has been exhibited numerous times in the U.S. and abroad in solo and group exhibitions.
Her artist’s book is now in the collections of many institutes including Stanford University and Harvard University. Hannan has also been featured in Artists Statement No. 1 by CICA Museum in Korea as well as ArtMaze mag in New York and the United Kingdom.
Easter Bunny helps Lainey’s Army March 24
Drama depicts actress in her later years
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Easter Bunny helps Lainey’s Army March 24
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Drama depicts actress in her later years
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Dakota Fanning stars in ‘Please Stand By’
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Rattlin’ Bog performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Bluegrass jam Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Joseph Daley Tuba Trio performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Legion hosts St. Patrick’s Day event
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Pre-Easter fun day March 24
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Bunny Cares event Sunday
- 4:00pm 03/15/18Irish music session Tuesday