“Voyage II” — Artwork by Nishiki Sugawara-Beda; acrylic and watercolor on paper mounted on wood, 2014 (Image submitted)
Art center hosts ‘Mélange’ exhibit reception Saturday
CLINTON — Kirkland Art Center, 9 /12 E. Park Row, is exhibiting the works of artists Nishiki Sugawara-Beda and Miya Hannan in the Main Gallery through March 30 in a show entitled, “Mélange.”
The opening reception will take place from 4-6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25. Gallery hours are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday - Friday.
Sugawara-Beda was born and raised in Japan, where she learned “Sumi-e,” the Japanese art of ink painting, which was a foundation as well as an inspiration for her art. She has a bachelor’s of fine arts degree from Portland State University, and a masters of fine arts in painting from Indiana University.
“I use watercolor paper for its ability to capture the ink of a brush. Calligraphy is a dance, frozen in time, which once executed cannot be revisited,” said Sugawara-Beda. “As in the Japanese tradition of the craft, I am a performer on the surface of the paper as I choose those aspects of the language I wish to reveal, and those I may wish to wash away in ambiguity.”
Hannan’s art is influenced by her scientific education as well as Asian death philosophy and rituals. Her art is representative of her view on the world that is made of links between human lives and histories. Hannan’s work has been exhibited numerous times in the U.S. and abroad in solo and group exhibitions.
Her artist’s book is now in the collections of many institutes including Stanford University and Harvard University. Hannan has also been featured in Artists Statement No. 1 by CICA Museum in Korea as well as ArtMaze mag in New York and the United Kingdom.
Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/15/18RCT Talent Team presents a Night of One Acts Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema Capitol celebrates Pride Month with ‘The Misandrists’
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Country gospel concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Constable Hall hosts annual Arts & Craft Show, Car Cruise-In June 17
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18April Verch Band performs Friday at View
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema continues Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki series
- 4:00pm 06/14/18‘Perry Pareé’ on stage Friday, Saturday in Hamilton