OSCAR NOD — Scene from “The Breadwinner”
Animated Oscar nominee at Cinema Capitol
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the animated movie “The Breadwinner” Friday through Thursday.
Based on the best-selling novel by Deborah Ellis published in 2000, the movie was produced by Angelina Jolie.
It follows Parvana, an 11-year-old girl who lives under Taliban rule in Afghanistan in 2001. After the wrongful arrest of her father, Parvana cuts off her hair and dresses like a boy to support her family. Working alongside a friend, she soon discovers a new world of freedom and danger.
Drawing strength from the fantastical stories she invents, Parvana embarks on an epic quest to find her father and reunite her family.
The movie was nominated for “Best Motion Picture: Animated” at the 2018 Golden Globes. It was awarded an “Audience Award” at the Leeds International Film Festival, as well as “Best Animation” at the Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards and the Toronto Film Critics Association Awards.
The Toronto Star writes “‘The Breadwinner’ is a well-crafted and inspiring story with an important message about female empowerment… something people of all ages should embrace.”
The Los Angeles Times writes “In its power and its beauty, ‘The Breadwinner’ reminds us that animation can be every bit as much of a medium for adults as it is for children.”
The film runs 94 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for thematic material including some violent images).
Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema continues anime series with ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Cinema screens documentary exploring the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Mayfaire on the Green returns to Holland Patent for 8th year
- 4:00pm 05/17/18KAC Spring Dance event Saturday in Clinton
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Limited screenings of sci-fi horror movie
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Bluegrass Music Festival May 19
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Woodwind trio performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Capitol offers auditions for SummerStage Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/17/18Final performance in RACC concert series May 25
- 4:00pm 05/12/18Moss Back Mule Band closes Trinity’s spring series May 19