Marcel Andre and Josette Day in “La Belle Et La Bete.”
After Midnight series features Beauty and the Beast adaptation
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the 1946 French movie “La Belle Et La Bete”at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 15, for its 12th installment of its Out After Midnight Film Series. The screening is being held in conjunction with the Capitol Theatre’s live SummerStage production of Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast.”
Directed by Jean Cocteau, the film is an adaption of the 18th century fairy tale “Beauty and the Beast.” When a French merchant (Marcel André) finds himself lost and alone in a forest, he picks a rose for his daughter, Belle (Josette Day). The rose, however, grows on the land of a monster – half human, half beast.
When the Beast (Jean Marais) imprisons her father, Belle sacrifices herself to take his place and, while he seems cruel and barbaric, she soon develops a deep bond with the misunderstood creature.
Considered a classic of French cinema, it was ranked at 26th in Empire’s 2010 list of the “100 Best Films of World Cinema.” The movie was also included on Roger Ebert’s 1999 “The Great Movies” list.
Thew New York Times writes that it is a “sensuously fascinating film, a fanciful poem in movement given full articulation on the screen.” The Chicago Tribune also writes that “It’s a magical passage to a more impassioned and bewitching era.”
The film series consists of biweekly movie screenings which begin prior to, but which end after, midnight. An $8 admission price includes unlimited pizza donated by Boyz from Italy (while supplies last), a small fountain beverage and a small popcorn.
The film runs 93 minutes and is not rated.
Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. Doors will open for the event at 10 p.m.
Spektral Quartet to perform at Hamilton College April 21
MWPAI Concerts in the Court Hosts Tribute to Jazz Legend
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Oriskany Central School Ski & Snowboard Club to hold Book Fair
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Spektral Quartet to perform at Hamilton College April 21
- 4:00pm 04/19/18MWPAI Concerts in the Court Hosts Tribute to Jazz Legend
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Out After Midnite presents Estonian fantasy
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Dark comedy ‘Death of Stalin’ on Cinema screen
- 4:00pm 04/19/18DuffleBag Theatre presents ‘Little Red Riding Hood’
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Spring Swing concert Sunday at Colgate
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Polish Home hosts spaghetti dinner
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Masterworks Chorale performs with Symphoria
- 4:00pm 04/19/18Singer, Songwriter Showcase April 28