Free Jervis House tours start June 16 in Rome
Jervis Pubic Library will resume tours of the historic Jervis residence beginning on Saturday, June 16 at 2:30 p.m.
Subsequent tours will be held on Thursdays June 21, July 19, and Augst 23, at 2:30 p.m. A special evening tour will take place on July 31 at 6 p.m.
Tours begin at the information desk and last about an hour. The tours are open to the general public, and no registration is necessary.
John Bloomfield Jervis was born in Huntington, Long Island in 1795, and moved with his family as a 3-year-old to what was then called Fort Stanwix.
After attending public schools, he began his career as an axeman and rodman on the Erie Canal, which broke ground in Rome in 1817.
Apprenticing under Benjamin Wright, the “father of American civil engineering,” Jervis eventually became Superintendent of the eastern section of the Erie Canal.
He went on to have a successful career as Chief Engineer of the Croton Aqueduct, the first reliable water supply to New York City, which was used for much of the 19th century, as well as working as Chief or Consulting Engineer on numerous early railroad and canal projects throughout the eastern United States.
Jervis designed his Greek Revival-style house, which he bequeathed along with his personal library to the city of Rome to establish a public library.
Jervis Public Library opened to the public in 1895.
For more information regarding tours or other library services, go online to jervislibrary.org or call 315-336-4570.