Vintage rail cars to make way through region
Spectators will notice an unusual looking train making its way out of Utica and through the Adirondack Park this week.
Twenty privately owned vintage rail cars, pulled by Amtrak locomotives, will be traveling along the Adirondack Scenic Railroad to Thendara Station in Old Forge on Thursday.
There are a wide variety of cars on the trip, ranging from domes and lounges to round end observation, business and sleeper cars with the age extending from 1911 to the 1950s.
The owners are as diverse as the cars, from retired railroaders to business owners, but all sharing a commitment to preserving railroad history.
Several of the car owners travel the country to remote locations, only accessible by rail car.
The Adirondack Scenic Railroad is gearing up for heavy fall ridership with trains departing both Utica and Old Forge stations five days a week.
Although this particular train of multicolored cars will make opportune visuals and photographs for area residents, the cars will not be open to the public. They will be parked in freight yards where the public is not permitted for safety reasons.
The schedule for the special train is as follows (times tentative):
Thursday, Sept. 14
7 a.m., arrival 6 p.m. parking in Utica.
Friday, Sept. 15 through Saturday, Sept. 16
Depart Utica 10 a.m. to Saratoga Springs, arrival noon – two-day layover.
Sunday, Sept. 17
Depart Saratoga Springs,
7 a.m. with arrival in Rutland, Vt. at 3 p.m. for overnight
Monday, Sept. 18
Depart Rutland, Vt. 6 a.m., arrival Burlington, Vt. at noon.
Tuesday, Sept. 19 through Thursday, Sept. 21
Convention activities in Burlington including opportunity to tour the cars.
Friday, Sept. 22
Depart Burlington, Vt. at
6:30 a.m., with 1-5 p.m. stop-over in Manchester, Vt., arrive
Albany-Rensselaer at 11:15 p.m.
Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
Women’s club meets Feb. 20
Stone Soup event aids food pantry
Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Women’s club meets Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Stone Soup event aids food pantry
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Spaghetti dinner served Feb. 18
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Drive-through ashing in Lee, Verona Feb. 14
- 4:00pm 02/10/18St. Peter’s offers ashes in Verona
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Services at Trinity United Methodist
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Meal aids Lutheran Disaster Response
- 4:00pm 02/10/18The Kingdom of Heaven is ‘within you’