FLOWER SHOWER — Emmaleigh Peters, 4, daughter of Shane and Jennifer Peters, Oneida, demonstrates how to get her hair wet at the new splash pad located at Verona Beach State Park Aug. 4. The new amenity compliment’s the park’s new bathhouse, enclosed community room, updated pavilions and parking lots. (Sentinel photo by John Clifford)
Verona Beach splash pad earns praise from Cuomo, Picente
The opening of a new $180,000 splash pad at Verona Beach State Park was praised Friday by state and local officials including Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Oneida County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr.
The 2,000-square-foot splash pad includes 17 spray fountains underground; six spray fountains above ground; a natural plant and beach theme; three activators that control different spray zones; and a computer controller to sequence the spray features. It was supported by funding through the state’s NY Parks 2020 program.
The splash pad, which opened last week, is connected to the municipal Onondaga County Water Authority system, “providing a safe and clean water source for children and families to enjoy,” the state said. It will be open 9 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week, weather permitting.
“The Mohawk Valley is home to premier outdoor recreation, and this latest investment at Verona Beach will ensure families have access to safe and enjoyable summer activities,” Cuomo said.
Picente called the splash pad “a wonderful addition to an already popular Oneida County amenity. Many county residents and travelers enjoy visiting the park to swim, picnic and camp at Oneida Lake, and this new feature will make it an even stronger asset and attraction...”
It is a “fun new option for families with young children to safely cool off while visiting the revitalized beachfront at Verona Beach State Park,” said State Parks Commissioner Rose Harvey.
The project complements several other recent improvements at the park, said the state.
A total of $4.3 million was invested to construct a new bathhouse, enclosed pavilion, three picnic shelters, and parking lot upgrades, the state added.
Embrace righteous life in receipt of God’s grace
Church gathers gifts for Operation Christmas Child
Rome pastors offer joint service Sunday
Thanksgiving bake sale Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Embrace righteous life in receipt of God’s grace
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Church gathers gifts for Operation Christmas Child
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Rome pastors offer joint service Sunday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Thanksgiving bake sale Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Holiday service in Whitesboro Wednesday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Gathering Thanksgiving Eve at St. John’s
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Christmas at the Corner Friday
- 4:00pm 11/11/17Me too: Healing and hope through Jesus
- 4:00pm 11/11/17Joe Davoli, Harvey Nusbaum perform Nov. 18
- 4:00pm 11/11/17Thanksgiving concert in Sherrill to aid food pantry