A BIRD ON THE HAND — Utica Zoo docent Hank Bamberger holds Tyerion the Merlin during the zoo’s annual Earth Day event. The zoo will be holding a class next month for people interested in becoming a volunteer. (Photo submitted)
Utica Zoo has volunteer post for you
Utica Zoo is looking for individuals to join its team of docents in 2018.
A zoo docent is a volunteer, teacher or guide who is committed to educating the public about the environment, wildlife, conservation and the Utica Zoo.
Docents assist with education classes both on and off zoo grounds, promote the venue’s mission by acting as a zoo ambassador, educate zoo visitors on conservation topics, lead guided educational tours, and help during events and participate in animal enrichment activities.
Anyone interested in becoming a docent must be at least 18 years of age and complete the training course. The course covers information that zoo docents are required to know. Attendance at each class is required.
The course’s schedule:
- Day 1 — 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, March 3.
- Day 2 — 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, March 10.
Registration is required, with a March 1 deadline.
To sign up, call 315-738-0472, ext. 34, or send an email to email@example.com. The fee is $25, $20 for members.
The fee covers materials for docents, a docent T-shirt, a name badge and the first year’s docent dues.
Docents are asked to pay an annual $10 fee that is used for things such as enrichment items, docent trips and picnics.
Utica Summer Fest start tonight
Levitt Music Series starts June 25 in Utica
Movie depicts real life art heist
‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ on stage Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Bartlett Baptist marks 200 years, pastor’s retirement
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Small acts can help grow Kingdom of God
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Women meet for brunch Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Heart Touching Tour stops in Oriskany Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Club hosts author Elaine Miller
- 4:00pm 06/09/18God calls on us to embrace our capabilities
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Magic show, potluck Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Children’s Day celebration Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Film screening Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Strawberry shortcake on menu in Steuben