Spring intergenerational cleanup takes place this weekend, officials announce
The spring intergenerational cleanup organized by the Oneida County Youth Bureau and the county Office for the Aging and Continuing Care is this weekend.
The event brings together young people from area colleges, school districts and youth organizations with senior citizens in order to deliver general yard maintenance services. The cleanup is Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. each day in the Proctor Park parking lot off of Welsh Bush Road in Utica. The event happens rain or shine.
Any youth organization interested in volunteering can contact the Youth Bureau, (315) 798-5027. Senior citizens interested in having their yards cleaned can contact the Office for the Aging and Continuing Care, (315) 798-5456.
A similar event is held in the fall. This year’s autumn version is scheduled for Oct. 21 and 22.
During last year’s fall event, 850 youth volunteers throughout the county raked and collected leaves, swept porches, sidewalks and driveways, and brought light refuse to the curb at 115 senior citizen households. “The annual intergenerational fall and spring cleanups deliver much-needed services to our Oneida County senior citizens who physically can no longer do the work themselves, or being on a fixed income, can’t financially afford to have the work done for them,” said County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr. “It is also a fine example of the generous spirit possessed by the youth of our community.”
Fiddlers Association concert Sunday
Summer Showcase auditions June 26, 27 at Players of Utica
Donations accepted Friday at ‘Big Combo’ showing
‘Apparition Hill’ about life and what comes after
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian
- 4:00pm 06/17/17Women’s group gathers Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/17/17What Jesus offers us — incredible food for the journey
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Sylvan Beach Union Chapel starts 130th season June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Father’s Day BBQ in Blossvale
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Unitarian Church pilgrimage June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Strawberry Festival in Sherrill June 17
- 4:00pm 06/10/17‘The Shack’ screens in Vernon Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Guest speakers mark anniversary
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Chicken dinner Sunday in Clark Mills