Sheriff Robert M. Maciol
Sheriff unveils smartphone app in fight against crime
Oneida County Sheriff Robert M. Maciol wants to make following the fight against crime as easy as firing up your smartphone.
His department is making arrangements to offer a free mobile app that will allow users to submit crime tips and receive notifications from the Sheriff’s Office.
Maciol said two key components of the app involve the correctional facility in Whitestown. Individuals on the outside will be able to use the app to place money into inmates’ commissary accounts and schedule visits. It will also be possible to send messages to the jail administrator.
Additionally, sheriff anticipates the app will eventually be able to allow for video visits with an inmate at the Whitestown facility via a smartphone — similar to the Skype video chat service.
“It’s a modern piece of technology,” Maciol told members of the Board of Legislators’ Public Safety Committee recently.
Information about current activities of Sheriff’s Office personnel will also be displayed.
“With almost everyone owning a smartphone, we felt the time was right to make this investment in technology,” said the sheriff.
When ready, it will be available free of charge from the iPhone and Google Play (Android) app stores.
On Wednesday, the Board of Legislators approved using $9,000 from the inmate commissary to pay for the design of the app. No taxpayer funds will be being used.
The app is being created by TheSheriffApp.com, a division of OCV, LLC, which specializes in mobile app development for sheriff’s offices and public safety.
The provider has a “phenomenal track record,” Maciol told the Public Safety panel members.
‘King Kong Vs. Godzilla’ starts summer series at Capitol
Lymphedema therapists offer patients relief from painful swelling
Assistant VP gets state award
Library director gets two awards
- 4:00pm 06/24/17Durhamville Baptist presents Servants Heart Award
- 4:00pm 06/24/17Get the most out of summer and be thankful
- 4:00pm 06/24/17Strawberry Shortcake Supper Thursday in North Western
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian
- 4:00pm 06/17/17Women’s group gathers Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/17/17What Jesus offers us — incredible food for the journey
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Sylvan Beach Union Chapel starts 130th season June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Father’s Day BBQ in Blossvale
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Unitarian Church pilgrimage June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Strawberry Festival in Sherrill June 17