Sheriff Robert M. Maciol
Sheriff unveils smartphone app in fight against crime
Oneida County Sheriff Robert M. Maciol wants to make following the fight against crime as easy as firing up your smartphone.
His department is making arrangements to offer a free mobile app that will allow users to submit crime tips and receive notifications from the Sheriff’s Office.
Maciol said two key components of the app involve the correctional facility in Whitestown. Individuals on the outside will be able to use the app to place money into inmates’ commissary accounts and schedule visits. It will also be possible to send messages to the jail administrator.
Additionally, sheriff anticipates the app will eventually be able to allow for video visits with an inmate at the Whitestown facility via a smartphone — similar to the Skype video chat service.
“It’s a modern piece of technology,” Maciol told members of the Board of Legislators’ Public Safety Committee recently.
Information about current activities of Sheriff’s Office personnel will also be displayed.
“With almost everyone owning a smartphone, we felt the time was right to make this investment in technology,” said the sheriff.
When ready, it will be available free of charge from the iPhone and Google Play (Android) app stores.
On Wednesday, the Board of Legislators approved using $9,000 from the inmate commissary to pay for the design of the app. No taxpayer funds will be being used.
The app is being created by TheSheriffApp.com, a division of OCV, LLC, which specializes in mobile app development for sheriff’s offices and public safety.
The provider has a “phenomenal track record,” Maciol told the Public Safety panel members.
RMH pharmacist earns additional certification
Senior Breakfast Club meets March 24 at RCIL
Jervis offers Alzheimer’s program
Warden named director of Behavioral Medicine for MWHS
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Commonality in shared faith
- 4:00pm 03/17/18‘Colors of Grace’ Cantata Sunday
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Waterbury Memorial Presbyterian Church lists special services
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Fashionable spring topic of luncheon
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Gospel Services start Tuesday
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Verona church offers free meal
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Church offers Palm Sunday meal
- 4:00pm 03/10/18The cross, a Lenten sign of God’s love
- 4:00pm 03/10/18Community prayer vigil Tuesday in Canastota