Senate may vote next week on Medicaid amendment
A provision that would require New York state to assume the county share of Medicaid by 2020 remains in the reworked health bill that the U.S. Senate may vote on next week.
The state government would be faced with $2.3 billion in new expenses should this measure be enacted.
With that in mind, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo adamantly opposes the cost shift. On the other hand, Oneida County’s weekly payment to the state for the health program for the poor and disabled is about $1 million.
On an annual basis, the county pays out the equivalent of more than 75 percent of the tax levy for Medicaid.
The provision, authored by two New York congressmen, Republicans John Faso of Kinderhook and Chris Collins of western New York, is a carryover from the House of Representatives’ American Health Care Act. Oneida County Rep. Claudia L. Tenney, R-24, New Hartford, is a staunch supporter of the measure. She says if the provision is approved, there is enough time for the state to cut from its budget before there’s a cost shift in 2020.
Cuomo has called the Medicaid provision “reckless” and said it would lead to “devastating cuts to our hospitals, nursing homes and home care providers.”
Most states split Medicaid costs with the federal government without pushing some of the burden onto counties.
Senate GOP released their revised health care bill on Thursday, making changes intended to woo reluctant Republicans on both the center and the right of the party’s ideological spectrum. It is unclear if there will be enough support from GOP senators for the bill to pass.
Embrace righteous life in receipt of God’s grace
Church gathers gifts for Operation Christmas Child
Rome pastors offer joint service Sunday
Thanksgiving bake sale Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Embrace righteous life in receipt of God’s grace
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Church gathers gifts for Operation Christmas Child
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Rome pastors offer joint service Sunday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Thanksgiving bake sale Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Holiday service in Whitesboro Wednesday
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Gathering Thanksgiving Eve at St. John’s
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Christmas at the Corner Friday
- 4:00pm 11/11/17Me too: Healing and hope through Jesus
- 4:00pm 11/11/17Joe Davoli, Harvey Nusbaum perform Nov. 18
- 4:00pm 11/11/17Thanksgiving concert in Sherrill to aid food pantry