Senate may vote next week on Medicaid amendment
A provision that would require New York state to assume the county share of Medicaid by 2020 remains in the reworked health bill that the U.S. Senate may vote on next week.
The state government would be faced with $2.3 billion in new expenses should this measure be enacted.
With that in mind, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo adamantly opposes the cost shift. On the other hand, Oneida County’s weekly payment to the state for the health program for the poor and disabled is about $1 million.
On an annual basis, the county pays out the equivalent of more than 75 percent of the tax levy for Medicaid.
The provision, authored by two New York congressmen, Republicans John Faso of Kinderhook and Chris Collins of western New York, is a carryover from the House of Representatives’ American Health Care Act. Oneida County Rep. Claudia L. Tenney, R-24, New Hartford, is a staunch supporter of the measure. She says if the provision is approved, there is enough time for the state to cut from its budget before there’s a cost shift in 2020.
Cuomo has called the Medicaid provision “reckless” and said it would lead to “devastating cuts to our hospitals, nursing homes and home care providers.”
Most states split Medicaid costs with the federal government without pushing some of the burden onto counties.
Senate GOP released their revised health care bill on Thursday, making changes intended to woo reluctant Republicans on both the center and the right of the party’s ideological spectrum. It is unclear if there will be enough support from GOP senators for the bill to pass.
Family medicine residency program announces faculty member
MVHS offers public speaking help
Physician assistant joins medical office
Bassett Healthcare names chief of orthopedics
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Foothills Rural Community Ministry schedules annual meeting
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Roast pork dinner January 28
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Dinner dance aids camping ministry, community outreach
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Jesus paid it all: What do we owe him?
- 4:00pm 01/13/18String Bee performs Jan. 20
- 4:00pm 01/13/18Women’s group meets Tuesday
- 4:00pm 01/13/18What it means to celebrate the ‘year of the family’
- 4:00pm 01/06/18MLK celebration set for Jan. 14
- 4:00pm 01/06/18Westernville Presbyterian Church to celebrate 200th anniversary
- 4:00pm 01/06/18Foothills Rural Community Ministry sets January hours