ON THE TOUR — Old City Hall, shown in this July 2016 file photo, is among the location for a series of Walks and Talks focusing on the region’s history and important landmarks. The event featuring Old City Hall will be held on July 17. (Sentinel photo by John Clifford)

Rome sites among Landmark Society’s ‘Walks and Talks’ program

Published Jun 17, 2017 at 4:00pm

The Landmarks Society of Greater Utica offers Monday Walks and Talks, including some in Rome next week and July 17.

Scheduled are:

June 19th Rome Art Center and Oak and Ivy —  Meet at the Art Center Parking lot 308 W. Bloomfield St. Rome at 6 p.m. Guide: Jay Groah

June 26th A walk in the Footprint: The Historic Columbia/Lafayette Street Neighborhood — Join local historians, urbanists and community leaders and discover the history of this important downtown corridor. Learn about the contributions that the area has made to Utica’s development since the city’s inception, the impact a proposed downtown hospital would have on the area, and the untapped potential its historic buildings hold for downtown Utica’ future economic growth, vibrancy, and livability. Meet at Broadway and Lafayette Streets.

Guides :  Michael Galime – Utica Common Council President 7 Michael Lehman AIA- LSGU

July 10th Little Falls Old City Hall, Library, and Holy Family Parish (formerly St. Mary’s Church) — 659 E Main Street Little Falls. Where to meet? TBA

July 17th Rome Old City Hall, Rome Court House — 207 N. James St., Rome – Guide Jay Groah — Old City Hall has stood overlooking James St. since it was constructed over 115 years ago, since being officially replaced by the current City Hall on Washington Street. The old City Hall has been home to municipal and nonprofit agencies. Rome Court House Rebuilt 1849, Greek Revival Style, public square given by Dominick Lynch in 1807.

July 24th The Rosemont Bed and Breakfast 1423 Genesee St. Utica — a Beautiful, Italianate Victorian bed and breakfast is located in the heart of Utica. On the main thoroughfare of Genesee Street. Guides: Rita and Bob Sleys

July 31st — North Gage Presbyterian Church and Cemetery Association — The church address is 11600 North Gage Road, Deerfield. The Church was established October 1829. The current building was dedicated in 1859. The North Gage Cemetery Association is not connected to the church. The Cemetery first recorded burial was Feb. 19, 1810. To date there have been 1,067 burials, 37 veterans spanning back as far as the Revolutionary War.

August 7th — MUCC (Midtown Utica Community Center) The former Episcopal church of All Saints is the new home of the Midtown Utica Community Center (MUCC) at 40 Faxton St. MUCC has become a multicultural center for the arts and culture aiming to support all those who walk through our doors in any capacity able. With no staff, all of MUCC is managed and administered with hundreds of volunteers.

August 14th — Barneveld Sugar Bush and Mahannah Estate 8451 Old Poland Road, Barneveld

August 21st — Murnane Baseball Field — Sunset Ave and Burrstone Road Guide Michael Gentile.

August 28th — Forest Hills Cemetery — Oneida St. Utica was founded in 1848, by a group of civic-minded citizens to provide a greatly wanted need for the growing city of the day. Many national, state and local leaders rest at Forest Hill.