Public hearing on tax levy in Oneida on Tuesday
ONEIDA — The City of Oneida’s Common Council will hold a public hearing on a proposal to raise the property tax levy above the state limit on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m.
A state law passed in 2011 caps the rate at which localities can increase the property tax levy, unless that locality passes a law allowing the cap to be exceeded.
The council waived the cap during last year’s budget proceedings, and began the process of doing so for this year’s budget at a meeting earlier this month.
“We hope that the budget will come in under the limit as has happened in several previous years, but just in case, this has to be in place,” City Clerk Sue Pulverenti said at the time.
Tuesday’s meeting is to allow the public to weigh in on the proposal, city officials said. During the public hearing for last year’s cap override, no residents appeared, said officials.
The council will vote on the proposal in its meeting on Sept. 4. As agenda items are open for public comment, residents can voice concerns about the measure at the later meeting, as well.
Also on the council’s agenda for Tuesday night:
A measure to approve the Mayor’s reappointments of Jane Mariani to the Board of Assessment Review and further approve the reappointment of Michael Kaiser and Donald Thorna, Sr. to the Sign Review Board.
A measure to receive and place on file monthly reports from the Chamberlain, City Clerk, City Engineer, Comptroller, Fire Department, Housing Codes Enforcement, Police Department and Recreation Department.
A measure to authorize the Mayor to sign the Humana Medicare Employer Plan Renewal effective Jan. 1, 2019.
A measure to authorize the Purchasing Agent to advertise for bids for two Water Department service trucks as budgeted in the 2018 budget.
Celebrating 50 years
Center offers trip to Lake George
Ladies club gathers Friday
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Understanding salvation is fundamental to spiritual growth
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Grace Union marks 129th anniversary
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Church to host Harvest Dinner
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Dinner, dancing in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Retreat House offers First Friday Day of Prayer
- 11:28am 09/18/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Fall, football, and the armor of God
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Delta Lake Christian Music Fest Sept. 22
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Harvest Fair lunch Tuesday
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Bible study starts Sept. 19 in Rome