Public hearing on tax levy in Oneida on Tuesday
ONEIDA — The City of Oneida’s Common Council will hold a public hearing on a proposal to raise the property tax levy above the state limit on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m.
A state law passed in 2011 caps the rate at which localities can increase the property tax levy, unless that locality passes a law allowing the cap to be exceeded.
The council waived the cap during last year’s budget proceedings, and began the process of doing so for this year’s budget at a meeting earlier this month.
“We hope that the budget will come in under the limit as has happened in several previous years, but just in case, this has to be in place,” City Clerk Sue Pulverenti said at the time.
Tuesday’s meeting is to allow the public to weigh in on the proposal, city officials said. During the public hearing for last year’s cap override, no residents appeared, said officials.
The council will vote on the proposal in its meeting on Sept. 4. As agenda items are open for public comment, residents can voice concerns about the measure at the later meeting, as well.
Also on the council’s agenda for Tuesday night:
A measure to approve the Mayor’s reappointments of Jane Mariani to the Board of Assessment Review and further approve the reappointment of Michael Kaiser and Donald Thorna, Sr. to the Sign Review Board.
A measure to receive and place on file monthly reports from the Chamberlain, City Clerk, City Engineer, Comptroller, Fire Department, Housing Codes Enforcement, Police Department and Recreation Department.
A measure to authorize the Mayor to sign the Humana Medicare Employer Plan Renewal effective Jan. 1, 2019.
A measure to authorize the Purchasing Agent to advertise for bids for two Water Department service trucks as budgeted in the 2018 budget.
Making the tough calls
Pre-order today for bake sale Tuesday
All Denominations service Nov. 20
Holiday mass, dinner Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Making the tough calls
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Pre-order today for bake sale Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18All Denominations service Nov. 20
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Holiday mass, dinner Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Christmas at the Corner Nov. 23
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Church offers free meal Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Holiday Bazaar Dec. 1 in Verona
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Thanksgiving service in Clinton
- 4:00pm 11/10/18The Clothing Closet seeks donations
- 4:00pm 11/10/18Local collection sites announced for Operation Christmas Child