Oneida County sales tax outpaces last year
Oneida County sales tax collections grew 4.1 percent in the first six months of 2017 compared with the same period a year ago, according to a report released by State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli.
Through June, collections in the county hit $66.5 million compared with $63.9 million in the first six months of 2016. These totals were calculated before the county distributed sales tax shares to municipalities using formulas.
Sales tax is Oneida County’s largest revenue source, accounting for nearly one-quarter of this year’s $393.5 million spending plan.
Collections were up in the county’s two largest cities too. Rome recorded a growth of 8.8 percent between the first six months of 2016 and the same period this year — from $3.4 million to $3.7 million.
In Utica, the increase was smaller, coming in at 1.9 percent. Collections went from $4.85 million to $4.94 million.
The county sales tax rate is 4.75 percent. The state rate is 4 percent. The combined rate of 8.75 percent is among the highest charged among the state’s counties.
Sales tax collections across New York grew 3.3 percent in the first six months of this year, according to DiNapoli. Through June, local collections totaled $8 billion compared with $7.8 billion during the same period last year.
Examining sales tax on a county-specific basis, the comptroller’s report shows collections grew in 54 of the 57 counties outside of New York City.
The strongest growth was in Oswego County (16.7 percent), although much of that was due to technical adjustments in collections.
The report also shows Cayuga (15.1 percent), Wyoming (12.4 percent) and Seneca (10.8 percent) counties experienced strong growth.
Madison and Lewis counties also recorded sales tax gains in the first six months of 2017 that top the statewide average.
In Madison, sales tax went from nearly $12.7 million in the first six months of 2016 to nearly $13.2 million during the same period this year, an increase of 3.8 percent.
Sales tax in the city of Oneida was up 1.5 percent, from $2.3 million to $2.5 million.
Up in Lewis County, sales tax grew 5.4 percent, from $5.5 million in the first six months of 2016 to $5.8 million in the same period this year.
sales tax revenue
2017: $96,095,602 (estimate)
Adirondack Storytelling Festival Sunday
‘Wilderness Songs’ exhibit opens Saturday in Old Forge
Historian presents ‘The Fulton Chain’ book Tuesday
New repair shop activity opens at Utica Children’s Museum
- 4:00pm 07/14/18I have competed well
- 4:00pm 07/14/18The Puffers perform Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/14/18Women gather Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/10/18Constableville church to host Vacation Bible school
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Do not run from the fight — you are strong in The Lord
- 4:00pm 07/07/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Harp & Harmony concert Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Free B Sharp concert July 10
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Stittville social, concert July 10
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Chicken BBQ served July 14