FUELING UP — Customers pump gas at the Fastrac Cafe on Erie Boulevard West next to Runnings on Monday. AAA Western and Central New York reports holiday travelers will see lower prices at the pump this Thanksgiving. (Sentinel photo by John Clifford)
Holiday travelers to see lower gas prices
Holiday travelers have a little more to be thankful for this Thanksgiving — the national average price continues to drop for regular unleaded gasoline is $2.54 per gallon, down two cents since last week and nearly 25 cents lower than two months ago in the wake of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
The New York State average is $2.69, down one cent since last week. A year ago, the NYS average was $2.37.
AAA Western and Central New York (AAA WCNY) reports the following averages in the region:
- Buffalo — $2.66 (no change since last week);
- Ithaca — $2.65 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Rochester — $2.62 (down 2 cents in past week);
- Rome — $2.64 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Syracuse — $2.60 (down 1 cent in past week); and
- Watertown — $2.69 (down 3 cents in past week).
AAA projects 50.9 million Americans will journey 50 miles or more away from home this Thanksgiving, a 3.3 percent increase over last year. The 2017 holiday weekend will see the highest Thanksgiving travel volume since 2005 with 1.6 million more people traveling. While gas prices are up compared to last year, they have stabilized since last week and prices won’t stop 45.5 million Americans from taking holiday road trips.
AAA expects to rescue more than 330,000 motorists this Thanksgiving weekend, with the primary reasons being lockouts, flat tires and battery-related issues. AAA recommends motorists have their vehicles inspected by a trusted repair shop, such as one of the more than 7,000 AAA Approved Auto Repair facilities across North America.
Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android. The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance. Locate gas prices across the country at http://gasprices.aaa.com.
Ehlinger joins Community Wellness Partners
RMH announces new director of food services
Autumn Tramp and Trail events announced
Youth bereavement group lists fall gatherings
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Children: Investment for the future
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Mount Calvary marks anniversary
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Service and picnic Sunday in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Honesty, integrity, and being true to their word
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Grace Union AME Church to host revival service
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Hecla Hall to host picnic-style meal
- 4:00pm 08/11/18‘The Blessing of the Boats’ Sunday in Sylvan Beach
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Philippians 3:13-14: How to reach your goal
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Roof, steeple work at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Vacation Bible School in Westmoreland