FUELING UP — Customers pump gas at the Fastrac Cafe on Erie Boulevard West next to Runnings on Monday. AAA Western and Central New York reports holiday travelers will see lower prices at the pump this Thanksgiving. (Sentinel photo by John Clifford)
Holiday travelers to see lower gas prices
Holiday travelers have a little more to be thankful for this Thanksgiving — the national average price continues to drop for regular unleaded gasoline is $2.54 per gallon, down two cents since last week and nearly 25 cents lower than two months ago in the wake of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
The New York State average is $2.69, down one cent since last week. A year ago, the NYS average was $2.37.
AAA Western and Central New York (AAA WCNY) reports the following averages in the region:
- Buffalo — $2.66 (no change since last week);
- Ithaca — $2.65 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Rochester — $2.62 (down 2 cents in past week);
- Rome — $2.64 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Syracuse — $2.60 (down 1 cent in past week); and
- Watertown — $2.69 (down 3 cents in past week).
AAA projects 50.9 million Americans will journey 50 miles or more away from home this Thanksgiving, a 3.3 percent increase over last year. The 2017 holiday weekend will see the highest Thanksgiving travel volume since 2005 with 1.6 million more people traveling. While gas prices are up compared to last year, they have stabilized since last week and prices won’t stop 45.5 million Americans from taking holiday road trips.
AAA expects to rescue more than 330,000 motorists this Thanksgiving weekend, with the primary reasons being lockouts, flat tires and battery-related issues. AAA recommends motorists have their vehicles inspected by a trusted repair shop, such as one of the more than 7,000 AAA Approved Auto Repair facilities across North America.
Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android. The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance. Locate gas prices across the country at http://gasprices.aaa.com.
Making the tough calls
Pre-order today for bake sale Tuesday
All Denominations service Nov. 20
Holiday mass, dinner Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Making the tough calls
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Pre-order today for bake sale Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18All Denominations service Nov. 20
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Holiday mass, dinner Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Christmas at the Corner Nov. 23
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Church offers free meal Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Holiday Bazaar Dec. 1 in Verona
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Thanksgiving service in Clinton
- 4:00pm 11/10/18The Clothing Closet seeks donations
- 4:00pm 11/10/18Local collection sites announced for Operation Christmas Child