Hawkins Amusement Rides closing
Hawkins Amusement Rides is closing up shop after more than 50 years. The company that was a fixture at field days across the local region each year posted the news on its Facebook page Monday afternoon.
“It’s with a heavy heart that I have to say over the weekend it was decided that we will no longer be in business,” the announcement stated. “The cost of operations and dificulty with finding good employees, it’s time to bow out of the business. Sorry for any inconvenience. To my events, you will soon be getting a list and a letter from me stating that this is official and a list of ride companies you can contact. Thank you all for your years of support. You will all be missed more than you know. It’s sad but time to make Hawkins Amusement Rides a memory.”
The company has its office at 508 Clinton St., Rome. It is owned by Pete, Alberta, Bob and Julie Hawkins, according to the company website. The company ran carnivals May to September, traveling throughout Central New York. Its highlights include St. Paul’s church bazaar in Whitesboro, the Rome Catholic School spring carnival, and field days for fire departments throughout the area. Its resume included homecoming at Utica College and the San Gennaro festival at Turning Stone Casino.
The owners could not be reached for additional comments at press time.
Making the tough calls
Pre-order today for bake sale Tuesday
All Denominations service Nov. 20
Holiday mass, dinner Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Making the tough calls
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Pre-order today for bake sale Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18All Denominations service Nov. 20
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Holiday mass, dinner Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Christmas at the Corner Nov. 23
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Church offers free meal Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Holiday Bazaar Dec. 1 in Verona
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Thanksgiving service in Clinton
- 4:00pm 11/10/18The Clothing Closet seeks donations
- 4:00pm 11/10/18Local collection sites announced for Operation Christmas Child