Hawkins Amusement Rides closing
Hawkins Amusement Rides is closing up shop after more than 50 years. The company that was a fixture at field days across the local region each year posted the news on its Facebook page Monday afternoon.
“It’s with a heavy heart that I have to say over the weekend it was decided that we will no longer be in business,” the announcement stated. “The cost of operations and dificulty with finding good employees, it’s time to bow out of the business. Sorry for any inconvenience. To my events, you will soon be getting a list and a letter from me stating that this is official and a list of ride companies you can contact. Thank you all for your years of support. You will all be missed more than you know. It’s sad but time to make Hawkins Amusement Rides a memory.”
The company has its office at 508 Clinton St., Rome. It is owned by Pete, Alberta, Bob and Julie Hawkins, according to the company website. The company ran carnivals May to September, traveling throughout Central New York. Its highlights include St. Paul’s church bazaar in Whitesboro, the Rome Catholic School spring carnival, and field days for fire departments throughout the area. Its resume included homecoming at Utica College and the San Gennaro festival at Turning Stone Casino.
The owners could not be reached for additional comments at press time.
Documentary tells the story of triplets separated at birth
Final performance of the summer for Boonville Concert Band
View hosts Sweetback Sisters
Three showings for Fright Night at Cinema Capitol
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Honesty, integrity, and being true to their word
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Grace Union AME Church to host revival service
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Hecla Hall to host picnic-style meal
- 4:00pm 08/11/18‘The Blessing of the Boats’ Sunday in Sylvan Beach
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Philippians 3:13-14: How to reach your goal
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Roof, steeple work at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Vacation Bible School in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Saint Margaret’s sets open house
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Community Appreciation Day slated for Aug. 12
- 4:00pm 07/28/18Working behind the scenes