Hawkins Amusement Rides closing
Hawkins Amusement Rides is closing up shop after more than 50 years. The company that was a fixture at field days across the local region each year posted the news on its Facebook page Monday afternoon.
“It’s with a heavy heart that I have to say over the weekend it was decided that we will no longer be in business,” the announcement stated. “The cost of operations and dificulty with finding good employees, it’s time to bow out of the business. Sorry for any inconvenience. To my events, you will soon be getting a list and a letter from me stating that this is official and a list of ride companies you can contact. Thank you all for your years of support. You will all be missed more than you know. It’s sad but time to make Hawkins Amusement Rides a memory.”
The company has its office at 508 Clinton St., Rome. It is owned by Pete, Alberta, Bob and Julie Hawkins, according to the company website. The company ran carnivals May to September, traveling throughout Central New York. Its highlights include St. Paul’s church bazaar in Whitesboro, the Rome Catholic School spring carnival, and field days for fire departments throughout the area. Its resume included homecoming at Utica College and the San Gennaro festival at Turning Stone Casino.
The owners could not be reached for additional comments at press time.
Catholic Daughters aid hospital's Maternity Ward
Root Farm begins second year of Community Supported Agriculture
Utica Summer Fest start tonight
Levitt Music Series starts June 25 in Utica
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Bartlett Baptist marks 200 years, pastor’s retirement
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Small acts can help grow Kingdom of God
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Women meet for brunch Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Heart Touching Tour stops in Oriskany Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Club hosts author Elaine Miller
- 4:00pm 06/09/18God calls on us to embrace our capabilities
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Magic show, potluck Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Children’s Day celebration Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Film screening Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Strawberry shortcake on menu in Steuben