Hawkins Amusement Rides closing
Hawkins Amusement Rides is closing up shop after more than 50 years. The company that was a fixture at field days across the local region each year posted the news on its Facebook page Monday afternoon.
“It’s with a heavy heart that I have to say over the weekend it was decided that we will no longer be in business,” the announcement stated. “The cost of operations and dificulty with finding good employees, it’s time to bow out of the business. Sorry for any inconvenience. To my events, you will soon be getting a list and a letter from me stating that this is official and a list of ride companies you can contact. Thank you all for your years of support. You will all be missed more than you know. It’s sad but time to make Hawkins Amusement Rides a memory.”
The company has its office at 508 Clinton St., Rome. It is owned by Pete, Alberta, Bob and Julie Hawkins, according to the company website. The company ran carnivals May to September, traveling throughout Central New York. Its highlights include St. Paul’s church bazaar in Whitesboro, the Rome Catholic School spring carnival, and field days for fire departments throughout the area. Its resume included homecoming at Utica College and the San Gennaro festival at Turning Stone Casino.
The owners could not be reached for additional comments at press time.
Places of Rome Calendars benefit historical society
Ornament workshop at View Monday
Toddler and Me art class Friday
Holiday Hoot event at Utica Zoo Saturday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Holiday brunch Tuesday at Hart’s Hill Inn
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Adirondack Community Chorus performs ‘Hope!’ concert Dec. 17
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Catholic Daughters donate to Loaves and Fishes
- 4:00pm 12/09/17STAND ALONE PIC 2017-12-07_LOC_durhamville_Baptist.jpg
- 4:00pm 12/09/17RSVP Senior Readers Group
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Queen Village Christmas Dec. 16
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Concert Friday aids International Christian Centers for the Deaf
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Annual Choir Day Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Floyd church offers cookies