Hawkins Amusement Rides closing
Hawkins Amusement Rides is closing up shop after more than 50 years. The company that was a fixture at field days across the local region each year posted the news on its Facebook page Monday afternoon.
“It’s with a heavy heart that I have to say over the weekend it was decided that we will no longer be in business,” the announcement stated. “The cost of operations and dificulty with finding good employees, it’s time to bow out of the business. Sorry for any inconvenience. To my events, you will soon be getting a list and a letter from me stating that this is official and a list of ride companies you can contact. Thank you all for your years of support. You will all be missed more than you know. It’s sad but time to make Hawkins Amusement Rides a memory.”
The company has its office at 508 Clinton St., Rome. It is owned by Pete, Alberta, Bob and Julie Hawkins, according to the company website. The company ran carnivals May to September, traveling throughout Central New York. Its highlights include St. Paul’s church bazaar in Whitesboro, the Rome Catholic School spring carnival, and field days for fire departments throughout the area. Its resume included homecoming at Utica College and the San Gennaro festival at Turning Stone Casino.
The owners could not be reached for additional comments at press time.
Stained glass holiday pin workshop Saturday
Center to host Halloween party for kids
Fall Book Sale in Holland Patent
Historian explores how colonial New York was settled
- 4:00pm 10/15/18New hours for church Clothing Closet
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Consequences for our choices
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Trinity Community Coffee House hosts The Cadleys Oct. 20
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Octoberfeast in Holland Patent
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Dan Schall performs Oct. 21
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Augusta church hosts Old Home Days Service
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Ladies luncheon Thursday in Canastota
- 4:00pm 10/13/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 10/08/18Harvest of Faith set for Tuesday
- 4:00pm 10/06/18United Church of Canastota to hold chicken barbecue