Griffo supports plan to keep nuclear plants
The state Public Service Commission’s recommendation that nuclear power be included in New York’s proposed Clean Energy Standard has the backing of state Sen. Joseph A. Griffo.
“I applaud the Public Service Commission’s decision on July 8 to issue a proposal for a component of the standards that would support the preservation of our fleet of zero-emissions nuclear-powered generating facilities for the benefit of the electric system, its customers and the environment,” said Griffo, R-47, Rome. He is chairman of the Senate Energy Committee.
There are four nuclear power plants in the state, including two in Oswego County. Nuclear energy accounted for about 30 percent of the state’s electricity in 2014. “Preventing the premature closure of these carbon free, 24-7 operational workhorse facilities is wise energy policy and will enhance both New York’s short term and long term energy planning goals,” said the senator. “These plants are a necessary bridge to a much cleaner electric generation sector in our state. The economic and environmental benefits of appropriately compensating these plants for the zero-emission power they generate far exceed the costs.
Last year, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo directed the state to develop its own Clean Energy Standard, which mandates that 50 percent of New York state’s power come from renewable energy sources by 2030. Nuclear power is included under the proposed standard with the mandate that all existing nuclear plants be maintained.
Cinema screens Oscar nominated foreign language film
Zombie inspired ‘Romeo and Juliet’ starts March 2 at Colgate
Australian pop group on stage March 1
Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks star in ‘Best Picture’ contender ‘The Post’
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Women’s club meets Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Stone Soup event aids food pantry
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Spaghetti dinner served Feb. 18
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Drive-through ashing in Lee, Verona Feb. 14
- 4:00pm 02/10/18St. Peter’s offers ashes in Verona
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Services at Trinity United Methodist
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Meal aids Lutheran Disaster Response
- 4:00pm 02/10/18The Kingdom of Heaven is ‘within you’