Griffo supports plan to keep nuclear plants
The state Public Service Commission’s recommendation that nuclear power be included in New York’s proposed Clean Energy Standard has the backing of state Sen. Joseph A. Griffo.
“I applaud the Public Service Commission’s decision on July 8 to issue a proposal for a component of the standards that would support the preservation of our fleet of zero-emissions nuclear-powered generating facilities for the benefit of the electric system, its customers and the environment,” said Griffo, R-47, Rome. He is chairman of the Senate Energy Committee.
There are four nuclear power plants in the state, including two in Oswego County. Nuclear energy accounted for about 30 percent of the state’s electricity in 2014. “Preventing the premature closure of these carbon free, 24-7 operational workhorse facilities is wise energy policy and will enhance both New York’s short term and long term energy planning goals,” said the senator. “These plants are a necessary bridge to a much cleaner electric generation sector in our state. The economic and environmental benefits of appropriately compensating these plants for the zero-emission power they generate far exceed the costs.
Last year, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo directed the state to develop its own Clean Energy Standard, which mandates that 50 percent of New York state’s power come from renewable energy sources by 2030. Nuclear power is included under the proposed standard with the mandate that all existing nuclear plants be maintained.
Bartlett Baptist marks 200 years, pastor’s retirement
Small acts can help grow Kingdom of God
Women meet for brunch Thursday
Heart Touching Tour stops in Oriskany Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Bartlett Baptist marks 200 years, pastor’s retirement
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Small acts can help grow Kingdom of God
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Women meet for brunch Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Heart Touching Tour stops in Oriskany Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Club hosts author Elaine Miller
- 4:00pm 06/09/18God calls on us to embrace our capabilities
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Magic show, potluck Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Children’s Day celebration Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Film screening Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Strawberry shortcake on menu in Steuben