Griffo supports plan to keep nuclear plants
The state Public Service Commission’s recommendation that nuclear power be included in New York’s proposed Clean Energy Standard has the backing of state Sen. Joseph A. Griffo.
“I applaud the Public Service Commission’s decision on July 8 to issue a proposal for a component of the standards that would support the preservation of our fleet of zero-emissions nuclear-powered generating facilities for the benefit of the electric system, its customers and the environment,” said Griffo, R-47, Rome. He is chairman of the Senate Energy Committee.
There are four nuclear power plants in the state, including two in Oswego County. Nuclear energy accounted for about 30 percent of the state’s electricity in 2014. “Preventing the premature closure of these carbon free, 24-7 operational workhorse facilities is wise energy policy and will enhance both New York’s short term and long term energy planning goals,” said the senator. “These plants are a necessary bridge to a much cleaner electric generation sector in our state. The economic and environmental benefits of appropriately compensating these plants for the zero-emission power they generate far exceed the costs.
Last year, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo directed the state to develop its own Clean Energy Standard, which mandates that 50 percent of New York state’s power come from renewable energy sources by 2030. Nuclear power is included under the proposed standard with the mandate that all existing nuclear plants be maintained.
Local comedian releases DVD of Capitol Theatre show
Celebrating 50 years
Senior center hosts potluck dinner
Livable Communities Project topic of lunch
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Holiday brunch Tuesday at Hart’s Hill Inn
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Adirondack Community Chorus performs ‘Hope!’ concert Dec. 17
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Catholic Daughters donate to Loaves and Fishes
- 4:00pm 12/09/17STAND ALONE PIC 2017-12-07_LOC_durhamville_Baptist.jpg
- 4:00pm 12/09/17RSVP Senior Readers Group
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Queen Village Christmas Dec. 16
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Concert Friday aids International Christian Centers for the Deaf
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Annual Choir Day Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Floyd church offers cookies