Griffo supports plan to keep nuclear plants
The state Public Service Commission’s recommendation that nuclear power be included in New York’s proposed Clean Energy Standard has the backing of state Sen. Joseph A. Griffo.
“I applaud the Public Service Commission’s decision on July 8 to issue a proposal for a component of the standards that would support the preservation of our fleet of zero-emissions nuclear-powered generating facilities for the benefit of the electric system, its customers and the environment,” said Griffo, R-47, Rome. He is chairman of the Senate Energy Committee.
There are four nuclear power plants in the state, including two in Oswego County. Nuclear energy accounted for about 30 percent of the state’s electricity in 2014. “Preventing the premature closure of these carbon free, 24-7 operational workhorse facilities is wise energy policy and will enhance both New York’s short term and long term energy planning goals,” said the senator. “These plants are a necessary bridge to a much cleaner electric generation sector in our state. The economic and environmental benefits of appropriately compensating these plants for the zero-emission power they generate far exceed the costs.
Last year, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo directed the state to develop its own Clean Energy Standard, which mandates that 50 percent of New York state’s power come from renewable energy sources by 2030. Nuclear power is included under the proposed standard with the mandate that all existing nuclear plants be maintained.
Celebrating 50 years
Senior Center announces fall fitness classes
Wreath making workshop at Dorfman Wednesday
‘Baltic Sea Adventures’ event Thursday
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Cleveland UMC to host rummage sale
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Christian Women’s Club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Declutter Coach speaks at women’s gathering
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Pie sale Oct. 21 in Clinton
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Lee church serves ham Oct. 21
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Camden church offers Harvest Dinner Thursday
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Church marks Bicentennial with consistent message
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Tickets on sale for pastor appreciation dinner Oct. 28
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Westmoreland serves roast pork dinner
- 4:00pm 10/14/17Octoberfest in Holland Patent