Griffo supports plan to keep nuclear plants
The state Public Service Commission’s recommendation that nuclear power be included in New York’s proposed Clean Energy Standard has the backing of state Sen. Joseph A. Griffo.
“I applaud the Public Service Commission’s decision on July 8 to issue a proposal for a component of the standards that would support the preservation of our fleet of zero-emissions nuclear-powered generating facilities for the benefit of the electric system, its customers and the environment,” said Griffo, R-47, Rome. He is chairman of the Senate Energy Committee.
There are four nuclear power plants in the state, including two in Oswego County. Nuclear energy accounted for about 30 percent of the state’s electricity in 2014. “Preventing the premature closure of these carbon free, 24-7 operational workhorse facilities is wise energy policy and will enhance both New York’s short term and long term energy planning goals,” said the senator. “These plants are a necessary bridge to a much cleaner electric generation sector in our state. The economic and environmental benefits of appropriately compensating these plants for the zero-emission power they generate far exceed the costs.
Last year, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo directed the state to develop its own Clean Energy Standard, which mandates that 50 percent of New York state’s power come from renewable energy sources by 2030. Nuclear power is included under the proposed standard with the mandate that all existing nuclear plants be maintained.
Author signs books in Western Library
Photographs of Clinton on display Saturday
Cazenovia Counterpoint includes live music, art exhibits honoring women
Day camps for ages 7-12 at Mansion House
- 4:00pm 06/24/17Durhamville Baptist presents Servants Heart Award
- 4:00pm 06/24/17Get the most out of summer and be thankful
- 4:00pm 06/24/17Strawberry Shortcake Supper Thursday in North Western
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian
- 4:00pm 06/17/17Women’s group gathers Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/17/17What Jesus offers us — incredible food for the journey
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Sylvan Beach Union Chapel starts 130th season June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Father’s Day BBQ in Blossvale
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Unitarian Church pilgrimage June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Strawberry Festival in Sherrill June 17