Fort Rickey opens for 45th season Saturday
Young children and their families will have a chance to express their wild sides when Fort Rickey Children’s Discovery Zoo opens for the season Saturday. They will have the chance to view and interact with wild animals from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
“In my 39 years of doing this, and Fort Rickey’s 45 years in business, it has been all about the connection between children and wildlife,” Fort Rickey owner and director Len Cross said.
“We look for the big belly laughs from kids, or the chance to have them ask perceptive questions of our staff,” Cross added.
The zoo is located at 5135 Rome-New London Road and will be open through the end of October.
During the spring season, May 20 through June 16, the hours are 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. They may be reached at 315-336-1930 or www.fortrickey.com.
Fort Rickey features animals from all six habitable continents and a number of local wild animals.
Cross said these animals add to the fun of the visit and fun is an integral part of wildlife
“I came here after serving as curator at a museum in Newfoundland in 1978, and I’ve always seen the value of the entertainment aspect of the zoo business,” Cross said.
“Not everyone would admit that, but it’s a good way to stimulate curiosity in the future zookeepers and conservationists who visit us,” he said.
During the summer season, June 17 through Sept. 4, the zoo is open from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. In September, the zoo is open on weekends from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
The zoo’s Fall Fun Festival is held on weekends from Sept. 23 through Oct. 29 from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
Admission rates are $9.95 for adults over 16, $7.95 for children aged two to 15 and those under two years will be admitted for free.
Admission is $6 per person during the Fall Fun Festival, and wagon and pony rides are $2.50 each.
The daily show schedule includes maternity ward cuddling at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.; snake petting at noon and 2 p.m.; a wolf or eagle owl show at 2:30 p.m. and the otter feeding show at 4:30 p.m.
Fiddlers Association concert Sunday
Summer Showcase auditions June 26, 27 at Players of Utica
Donations accepted Friday at ‘Big Combo’ showing
‘Apparition Hill’ about life and what comes after
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian
- 4:00pm 06/17/17Women’s group gathers Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/17/17What Jesus offers us — incredible food for the journey
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Sylvan Beach Union Chapel starts 130th season June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Father’s Day BBQ in Blossvale
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Unitarian Church pilgrimage June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Strawberry Festival in Sherrill June 17
- 4:00pm 06/10/17‘The Shack’ screens in Vernon Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Guest speakers mark anniversary
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Chicken dinner Sunday in Clark Mills