Fort Rickey opens for 45th season Saturday
Young children and their families will have a chance to express their wild sides when Fort Rickey Children’s Discovery Zoo opens for the season Saturday. They will have the chance to view and interact with wild animals from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
“In my 39 years of doing this, and Fort Rickey’s 45 years in business, it has been all about the connection between children and wildlife,” Fort Rickey owner and director Len Cross said.
“We look for the big belly laughs from kids, or the chance to have them ask perceptive questions of our staff,” Cross added.
The zoo is located at 5135 Rome-New London Road and will be open through the end of October.
During the spring season, May 20 through June 16, the hours are 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. They may be reached at 315-336-1930 or www.fortrickey.com.
Fort Rickey features animals from all six habitable continents and a number of local wild animals.
Cross said these animals add to the fun of the visit and fun is an integral part of wildlife
“I came here after serving as curator at a museum in Newfoundland in 1978, and I’ve always seen the value of the entertainment aspect of the zoo business,” Cross said.
“Not everyone would admit that, but it’s a good way to stimulate curiosity in the future zookeepers and conservationists who visit us,” he said.
During the summer season, June 17 through Sept. 4, the zoo is open from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. In September, the zoo is open on weekends from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
The zoo’s Fall Fun Festival is held on weekends from Sept. 23 through Oct. 29 from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
Admission rates are $9.95 for adults over 16, $7.95 for children aged two to 15 and those under two years will be admitted for free.
Admission is $6 per person during the Fall Fun Festival, and wagon and pony rides are $2.50 each.
The daily show schedule includes maternity ward cuddling at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.; snake petting at noon and 2 p.m.; a wolf or eagle owl show at 2:30 p.m. and the otter feeding show at 4:30 p.m.
Be the bearers of love in a harsh world
Schall sings in Constableville
Vernon church hosts sales
Annual BBQ at Steuben Methodist Church April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Schall sings in Constableville
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Vernon church hosts sales
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Annual BBQ at Steuben Methodist Church April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Church offers free meal April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Church to hold pasta dinner
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Be the bearers of love in a harsh world
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Chamber music concert April 21 at First Presbyterian Church
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Mark Hoffmann brings swing music to Trinity Community Coffee House
- 4:00pm 04/14/18Spring bag sale in Lee Center
- 4:00pm 04/14/18‘God, etc.’ series starts Monday